SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Riding Gear Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 04-09-10, 08:03 AM   #21
Berlin

Default Re: Hi-Viz clothing

I have a hobby of deliberately bumping into people wearing Urban Camo in town and saying "Sorry mate! I Didn't see you there!"

They never get it!

C
Old 04-09-10, 10:48 AM   #22
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymraeg_Atodeg View Post
My main question of the thread was asking if people actually think Hi-Viz clothing makes a difference
I don't believe it makes any difference at all.
In conditions of poor visibility, you would have your headlight on anyway, which has far greater effect.

There are also other effects, people are desensitised to hi-vis since the HSE makes everyone wear one to bed anyway... add in the same idiot magnet effect generally reserved for L plates...

Only positive effect I seen with them is if you're riding a big tourer and wearing a high vis jacket, people think you're a copper and move over. But for them to notice "you're a copper" they need to have seen you in the first place...

Just for interest, I have worn my (very gay) 80s leathers on the road. I get FAR more people being c***s and trying to knock me off, getting annoyed at bits of filtering that when doing the same thing, in the same place wearing my proper (black as the night!) kit... isn't a problem.
(they may well be trying to put me out of the misery of my terrible fashion sense )

Look like you're doddering about like a learner... get bullied. Look like you mean business, less problems.
Old 04-09-10, 03:12 PM   #23
orose

I have a suspicion that high-vis may be making you less visible in bright sunlight, at least in the yellow sort. We're OK seeing each other, mostly because we're all wearing dark visors as well, but I think its possible to fade into the hedges from a visibility point of view.

When it gets darker, then it makes you stand out from the black (assuming it's clean...), but I'm not convinced of the help in the day.