SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 16-08-05, 08:33 AM   #1
thor

Default Inappropriate Clothing

Ok, so you get used to the business men on their ducatis and harleys in suits jabbering on phones stuffed into the side of their open face helmet, but today I saw another one of those people (suit, smart shoes etc) but wearing shorts.

Shorts???

What kind of stupidity could have come up with that idea?!?
Old 16-08-05, 08:41 AM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

Look, you can wear anything you want on your bike. Its 100% up to you. It only comes into play when you come off. If the law of averages goes right then you may be able to ride in shorts for 10000 miles.

I ride in jeans if i want to. I did even take my bike 'round the block' wearing shorts and a t shirt with no gloves the other night.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-05, 08:43 AM   #3
Last Action Pimp

i hated riding my scooter without a jacket and that only did 30.

it was a really hot summers day and i got fed up of carrying my jacket around, but i think it is worth the hassel
Old 16-08-05, 10:10 AM   #4
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Look, you can wear anything you want on your bike. Its 100% up to you. It only comes into play when you come off. If the law of averages goes right then you may be able to ride in shorts for 10000 miles.

I ride in jeans if i want to. I did even take my bike 'round the block' wearing shorts and a t shirt with no gloves the other night.
wot Viney said. The only law stipulates you wear a helmet. Otherwise its down to an individual if theyre prepared to take the risk.

Personally, looking at my gear after each off theres no way in hell I will get on a bike without adequate gear. But equally while I know it will help in case of coming off [voice of experience on that one ] it will not make me invincible. Bikers die fully geared up too.
Old 16-08-05, 11:49 AM   #5
Iansv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney

Your not allowed to ride nude tho....
Old 16-08-05, 11:57 AM   #6
Jelster

Last night at Boxhill there were a couple R1's. Riders were in jeans and trainers, one only had a fleece on. Both had girls on the back and they weren't dressed much better. But as Viney says, it's their choice; if they are that confident that they "know" they#ll be safe then that's up to them.

I've been known to ride the 3 or 4 miles into uxbridge in jeans, trainers and a bike jacket, hell I think I've even gone into Soho like it before.

Now, wearing shotrs, vest and no gloves AND riding like a ****, we'll they'll find out the hard way...

Old 16-08-05, 01:25 PM   #7
AlanSv

to be honest whats the difference in jeans, trouser, or shorts? if you come off they're going to shred instantly anyway!

same thing for sandals, trainers, or shoes, as Mark can contest, even leather boots wont protect your toes if you try to grind them down the road.

All you can do is make the decision, and live with it (hopefully) if you come off and shred your skin in the process.
Old 16-08-05, 01:27 PM   #8
argatxa

Sometimes (very rarely) I choose to not wear the leather trousers and boots for short distances... I am very aware and I drive according to it, but it makes me so unconfortable that I finish regretting no having them on after two minutes...

But, with the example of the girlfriends.... ouch, I am guilty!! When I am with her I drive far more slow and far more careful but I cannot afford to buy her/make her buy all the full gearing. I have started with the helmet passing her my precious Z-One (and buying a really nice XR-1000 for myself .. ahem.. ). I am getting more and more stuff, but.. puff, I cannot build all the motorcycle stuff stock in two months man...

I am trying to make her not wear flip-flops and skirts when she is going to go on and telling her how bad can be, but there is nothing more than I can do ... (no open road trips for her until she is fully geared though).

Shall I not give her a lift at all? mmmm.... guilty, at least for a few months more...
Old 16-08-05, 01:36 PM   #9
thor

No no no, you guys have got the wrong idea. I wasn't confused as to why he wasn't wearing protective gear. We've all done the jeans and trainers for shorts trips I am sure.

No, what I couldn't understand is why you would want to wear A SUIT and SMART SHOES with - SHORTS! It makes no sense? You still have to change at either end, therefore negating the jeans convinience that we all like, and you still have to have a bag with you for the trousers. AND you still lok silly walking into the office to change in the toilets!
Old 16-08-05, 01:59 PM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
No no no, you guys have got the wrong idea. I wasn't confused as to why he wasn't wearing protective gear. We've all done the jeans and trainers for shorts trips I am sure.

No, what I couldn't understand is why you would want to wear A SUIT and SMART SHOES with - SHORTS! It makes no sense? You still have to change at either end, therefore negating the jeans convinience that we all like, and you still have to have a bag with you for the trousers. AND you still lok silly walking into the office to change in the toilets!
ooooook.....!!! So he was wearing a suit jacket and shorts...now thats just funny!!!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote