SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-03-05, 07:34 PM   #1
snoopy

Default K3+ rear caliper on a <K3 curvy

Discussing the purpose of the torque bar with Northwind I'm trying to find out the following:

1. are the rear discs on the SV's the same diameter.
2. does the sharpy caliper fit onto the curvy caliper bracket or would one need to use a K3 bracket on the curvy to hold it?

Please don't all go mad at me at once. I've had to drill my rear caliper rods and the caliper is not worth repairing. I'd rather just fit a K3 caliper.

A.
Old 29-03-05, 07:35 PM   #2
snoopy

Oh and does somebody have a picture of the rear caliper on the sharpy so I can get an idea of fitting.
Old 29-03-05, 07:40 PM   #3
Cloggsy

I thought you were getting a Judge Dread scooter
Old 29-03-05, 07:44 PM   #4
snoopy

Nah, I worked out all the costings (including maintenance) and the SV is by far the cheaper bike. Actually it works out cheaper than a GS500 (insurance 100 quid more for the GS!). So the SV is being 'fixed'.

I found the above picture of the sharpy. I figure the bracket must lock against the swing arm for it not to have a torque bar, and therefore it must be different.?
Old 30-03-05, 08:50 AM   #5
snoopy

Come on you K3 owners, someone take a picture of the bracket...?
Old 30-03-05, 08:58 AM   #6
Sudoxe

The bracket slots over a metal lug on the swingarm. A little bit like a mortice & tennon joint, but instead of slotting in it slots over, and thus is adjustable.

Dan
Old 30-03-05, 06:26 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

You're going to need someone to weld a lug onto the swingarm, as Dan says it's a rib on the inner face of the right side, it's about 40~50mm long and perhaps 10mm high and deep, there is a slot on the brake mounting plate, which engages the rib and passes the brake torque into the 'arm, the slot arrangement allows the plate to move back and forth so as to enable chain adjustment.

This will have to be right, don't even consider any half measures here, I can't immediately think offhand how you could fabricate anything suitable to bolt on, so realistically welding is the only way to go, this will mean the whole lot will need refinishing at least, I can't imagine it will be dearer to fix/replace the original brake.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-05, 06:43 PM   #8
chewy22

Simple way to go is get a rear GSXR or TLR rear caliper and mount with the torsion bar weld a lug to hold it up front and sling the new one under like the GSX. I picked all my bits up to do this for £20 from e-bay.
I still have it to fit to my new swing-arm should have it ready later this year.

Should fit yours if the brcket is the same depth.

Old 30-03-05, 06:47 PM   #9
chewy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcharnley

I found the above picture of the sharpy. I figure the bracket must lock against the swing arm for it not to have a torque bar, and therefore it must be different.?
No it sits in a grove on the bracket that holds the caliper there is a male piece welded inside the swing arm. I wanted to use the 03/04 GSXR bracket but as you would have it its the bloody other way around female / male on that one so thats why i went for the tiller.
Old 30-03-05, 06:49 PM   #10
chewy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcharnley
Come on you K3 owners, someone take a picture of the bracket...?

Best i can do.