SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-07-21, 09:28 AM   #2381
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Servicing is different compared to how it used to be done/operated. Most cars/bikes can be a recommendation of oil filter change on every other oil service (2 x oil change - 1 x filter). If your bike is on a service/dealer plan that is how they'll process it.
Air filters are generally 20K miles, as are spark plugs. And to be fair most last that long without any detriment to the life of the bike or the performance.
IMO, Unless you're doing enough miles for 2 x services a year i wouldn't leave it that long - even with a dealer doing it.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-21, 10:32 PM   #2382
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Servicing is different compared to how it used to be done/operated. Most cars/bikes can be a recommendation of oil filter change on every other oil service (2 x oil change - 1 x filter). If your bike is on a service/dealer plan that is how they'll process it.
Air filters are generally 20K miles, as are spark plugs. And to be fair most last that long without any detriment to the life of the bike or the performance.
IMO, Unless you're doing enough miles for 2 x services a year i wouldn't leave it that long - even with a dealer doing it.
I notice in the SV650A service book with oil change at every every 7500 miles, oil filter change is specified every other oil change as you say. This is new to me , I have always had the oil filter changed with every service, and I would prefer that whatever it says in the service book. The cost of changing the oil filter can't be that much in the overall cost of a service ,can it ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-21, 11:58 PM   #2383
gt alex

My Colortune arrived yesterday and within a hour of arriving I have my fuel mixture spot on.
gt alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-21, 05:30 AM   #2384
Seeker
Mega Poster

I didn't know that the Gunson's Colortune was still on the market. I remember using one back in the 70s.
Old 27-07-21, 08:07 AM   #2385
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I notice in the SV650A service book with oil change at every every 7500 miles, oil filter change is specified every other oil change as you say. This is new to me , I have always had the oil filter changed with every service, and I would prefer that whatever it says in the service book. The cost of changing the oil filter can't be that much in the overall cost of a service ,can it ?
The filter on the SVs is the around the same size as that used on many car engines of up to 2 litres, I guess that Suzuki technicians believe it has the capacity and filter-medium area to not cause any significant reduction in oil flow/pressure if changed every other oil change ...
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-21, 08:28 AM   #2386
redtrummy

My super low mileage SV gets a new filter every other oil change at best. Guess you have to take into account how the bikes ridden and mileage accrued.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-21, 12:19 PM   #2387
Bibio
Mega Poster

old oil filters still filter the oil the problem is that the pressure makes the popper inside pop earlier or in the case of very dirty filters it will stay open so allows dirty unfiltered oil into the working parts of the engine. good well designed filters will not pop in high revs bad filters are just false economy as they usually pop a lot earlier.

suzuki may say change the filter every second oil change but there is no harm in changing every oil change and thats what i do. and yes the oil change is every 3500 miles so 600, 4100, 7600, 11,100 etc.etc frequent oil change is more important on the newer model as it has coated bores and if they get deeply scored its goodnight.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-21, 01:18 PM   #2388
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Oil change on my curvy every 5000 miles. New filter with every oil change. Filter is normally one of the HiFlow Filtro filters from M&P/Busters.

Just about to hit 100,000 miles, so must be doing something right!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-21, 06:51 PM   #2389
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
old oil filters still filter the oil the problem is that the pressure makes the popper inside pop earlier or in the case of very dirty filters it will stay open so allows dirty unfiltered oil into the working parts of the engine. good well designed filters will not pop in high revs bad filters are just false economy as they usually pop a lot earlier.

suzuki may say change the filter every second oil change but there is no harm in changing every oil change and thats what i do. and yes the oil change is every 3500 miles so 600, 4100, 7600, 11,100 etc.etc frequent oil change is more important on the newer model as it has coated bores and if they get deeply scored its goodnight.
The new model SV650A service is every 7,500 miles. I would rather play safe and have a new filter every oil change.
Old 27-07-21, 06:53 PM   #2390
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
The filter on the SVs is the around the same size as that used on many car engines of up to 2 litres, I guess that Suzuki technicians believe it has the capacity and filter-medium area to not cause any significant reduction in oil flow/pressure if changed every other oil change ...
The oil filter on my 2020 SV650A looks the same size as the oil filter on every other bike I have had !