SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 22-04-13, 10:09 AM   #1
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Rides from the New Forest

Mr LPH and I are soon to be spending a week in the New Forest and might bring one or both bikes. We know the forest area pretty well, but can anyone recommend a few routes for day trips? Last time we went to Durdle Door and along to Portland Bill and Weymouth, via the ferry at Sandbanks.

Any other good roads we shouldn't miss?

And recommendations of cafes or pubs for lunch en route?

Is Poole bike meet on Tuesday 30th? If so we may see you down there, even if it's in the car.
Old 22-04-13, 10:26 AM   #2
granty92

Default Re: Rides from the New Forest

bike night will be on the 30th all the roads through the new forest are quite twisty and fun, over by beaulieu motor museum are pretty flat and twisty so make sure to go to them all the pubs round that area are friendly too
Old 22-04-13, 11:54 AM   #3
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I have spent every summer holiday in the New Forest for 40+ years so I think I must have been to every pub. What we'd really like it info on the roads outside the forest that are worth programming into the sat nav that we may not have come across before.

Looks like we'll see you at the quayside then.
Old 22-04-13, 12:11 PM   #4
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Rides from the New Forest

Some good roads heading out of Wimborne, out past Bradbury rings is a good bit of road. There is a national trust house there if that's your thing too.

If you are intending to be at the quay I will make special effort to attend, especially if you are bringing cake!

Will have my nice new exhaust on by then too!
Old 22-04-13, 03:41 PM   #5
RichT

Stockbridge Rd, A3057 to A303
B3078 Godshill > Fordingbridge > Wimbourne Minster
A3090 to Wicnchester and onto A272 (Loomies @ A32)... A32 south to M27

There's options all over depending on how far you want to go LPH
Old 23-04-13, 11:48 AM   #6
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Loomies is shut next week unfortunately.
Old 23-04-13, 02:50 PM   #7
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

I follow the coast and go from lepe - beaulieu - lymington - Milford - Christchurch - use the a35 to nip through Bournemouth and Poole as its lame - take a left off the a35 through sandford to wareham - Swanage for some chips - up over the ranges to Weymouth (then sometimes round portland) - Weymouth to west bay via Abbotsbury (this road is a must) - up to Yeovil - Shaftesbury - Salisbury - Stockbridge and then home.

Zig zag is over hyped and not worth the detour imo but incorporated into Compton Abbas airfield as a route is worth while.

As rich said there are good roads literally all over this area. There's also loads round loomies that alot of people don't know about.

Then there's ornamental drive and ten bends near Brockenhurst but it's usually too full or tourists to be able to go quick

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-13, 04:43 PM   #8
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Thanks Gav.

I love the roads around Brockenhurst into the Rhinefield and know them so well I could probably drive them with my eyes shut.

I don't know the areas around Loomies at all, so if anyone fancies putting a little Googlemap together for me I would be very very happy indeed!