SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-07-09, 03:51 PM   #41
kwak zzr

Default Re: Mileage musings

a dealer will always say something to give you less for it.
Old 13-07-09, 08:41 PM   #42
trumpet

Two dealers did'nt want to buy my bike with 45000 on clock in v.g.c. even in part exchange
Old 13-07-09, 09:26 PM   #43
amarko5

mine has just tripped over 12000 since april last year. (I know i'm not using it as much as i used too)

couldn't care less what some dealers think, this bike should easily be capable of 100,000 miles or more, it's down to the mtce really.

P.S. a simple lubeman oiler and the chain has needed NO adjustment in 12000 miles.
Old 14-07-09, 10:38 AM   #44
trumpet

I suppose some of the problem lies with riders not wanting a high milage bike,most would go for low milage bikes if there was a choice.
Old 14-07-09, 12:32 PM   #45
embee
Mega Poster

I hate dealers, really really hate them as a breed, they'll just tell you all sorts of crasp as though you're a complete idiot, and most of them struggle to find two brain cells to rub together. For goodness sake the odd 1k miles here or there makes no odds whatsoever, you could do that in a couple of decent weekend rides, it's just a blabber tactic to talk the value down.

I don't mind if they want to talk the price down, it's their job, but wish they wouldn't be a complete ar$e about it, just be straight.

end of
Old 14-07-09, 12:39 PM   #46
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Apparently that's the average mileage for a bike these days. Yours won't even be fully run in, so yep, obviously it's insane... But there's a lot of lower mileage bikes out there. Personally I'd sooner buy a bike which had been ridden than sat around. Supposedly the average cradle-grave lifespan of a japanese sportbike is now 4 years too! A guy at my work is amazed that my SV's done 45000 miles, I keep trying to explain that this isn't even very much but to him it's madness, he just doesn't expect his own to last half that long before the engine breaks or something.
This is a good thing though, it means people like us have a ready supply of upsidedown forks, stiff and lightweight wheels, powerful braking components etc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I hate dealers, really really hate them as a breed, they'll just tell you all sorts of crasp as though you're a complete idiot, and most of them struggle to find two brain cells to rub together. For goodness sake the odd 1k miles here or there makes no odds whatsoever, you could do that in a couple of decent weekend rides, it's just a blabber tactic to talk the value down.

I don't mind if they want to talk the price down, it's their job, but wish they wouldn't be a complete ar$e about it, just be straight.

end of
I think I will take my bike to the dealers and see what they will give me for it part-ex
Old 14-07-09, 01:18 PM   #47
carty

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarko5 View Post
P.S. a simple lubeman oiler and the chain has needed NO adjustment in 12000 miles.
You haven't changed your rear ryre in 12000 miles?!

I don't care about the resale value of my bike - it'd be nice if it was worth more if I wanted to trade it in, but I'm certainly not going to leave it in the garage gathering dust to even out the mileage!
Old 14-07-09, 01:27 PM   #48
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

You don't have to adjust the chain when you change a tyre...
Old 14-07-09, 03:04 PM   #49
carty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
You don't have to adjust the chain when you change a tyre...
You don't have to, but you generally would check it and fine tune it on the basis of 'you might aswell'
Old 14-07-09, 03:13 PM   #50
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_C View Post
Mileage won't affect the value of my bike, its worth feck all anyway.
But that's sort of empowering in a way Sean isn't it?

Service it when you want, buy second hand bits or modify it to your taste/requirements. Leave it out in the rain. Takes a lot of worries out of the bike owning/running equation. At least I hope it does for you mate.

The duke is probably worth 2 to 2.5k now but if we run it for another year it will still be worth that sort of money (I hope). That's the secret I reckon, run them into the ground, then buy secondhand again.