SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-03-08, 09:55 PM   #1
jans1971

Default bike not running freely

when i go backwards sitting on my bike and using my legs it seems alot harder than normal . like the brake is on a very little bit. any ideas ?????
Old 11-03-08, 09:59 PM   #2
ASM-Forever

Default Re: bike not running freely

Sounds like the brakes are binding a bit to me.

You could strip them, but after you get going and use them a bit they usually free up in my experience.
Old 12-03-08, 08:13 AM   #3
gettin2dizzy

is this when the bike is in gear with the clutch in? If not adjusted correctly it can apply a tiny amount of drive which is only noticeable when you try and move it
Old 12-03-08, 02:11 PM   #4
drag

I find the same with my own at the mo, i tihnk it's the back brake however, as i only stripped the front calipers not so long ago.

Once you get going they free up.
Old 12-03-08, 02:50 PM   #5
Warthog

My brakes were terrible over winter, being sat out for 10 days in the salt when I went on holiday, I could barely push the bike. Two things you can do, clean all the calipers and pistons, or razz it around, thats what I did and it freed them up
Old 12-03-08, 02:54 PM   #6
Grinch

I would try using your back brake a lot more then usual and see if that frees it up, else a clean up and maybe strip down would be a good idea.
Old 12-03-08, 03:15 PM   #7
Xan173

Also check the wheel bearings, excessive tightness or free play in the wheel bearings, or excessive roughness in a wheel bearing whilst the wheel is rotating can indicate failure.

If you've been riding through winter, or regularly jet wash the bike then theres a chance they've rusted.

Last edited by Xan173; 12-03-08 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 04:45 PM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
is this when the bike is in gear with the clutch in? If not adjusted correctly it can apply a tiny amount of drive which is only noticeable when you try and move it
This is also true when the engine and hence oil is cold; cold oil means the clutch drags a bit, so when you try and move the bike about with it in gear and holding the clutch in, there is a bit of resistance (freaked me out at first, thought my clutch was in its wa out...until my dad showed me that its the same with his GSXR, although not quite as bad)

Matt
Old 12-03-08, 05:41 PM   #9
skint

Perhaps a bit of salt and winter muck. Try a good clean?