SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-11-04, 01:26 PM   #1

Default Y are our bikes worth Nowt??

Ok now i understand when you buy a bike it does de value, significantly,
i lost 50% on my rx50 within the first year!

But our sv's, fantastic, reliable fun, extremly reputable bikes, what ever thier age/ condition seem to be worth bugger and all!!!

even bandits retain their value better than the sv? I have not found anything on the market as good for the money as an sv? so y are they so cheap, i know there are lots of them, but i wouldnt have though that would effect them this badly,

My sv was appraised by a dealer at 30k miles with no service hsitiry and tele colours at 1500 quid against a second hand svthou and £1200 agains a new one!!! the cars you can buy for that are crap! so y are they worth nowt,

Any thoughts??
Old 12-11-04, 01:32 PM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

Ok, look at it this way.

If i sell my sv say, for 2g's, it cost me 4g's 4 years ago. Thats lost 50 in 4 years, which in reality isnt a lot. On the other side, in depereciation alone, the bike has svaed me £700 a year on commuting costs. If you take in to account serviceing, tyres, insurance etc, it has still saved me somewhere in the region of 30-40% in commuting, and thats with out the weekend rides, and time alone.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-04, 01:40 PM   #3
Jabba

Default Re: Y are our bikes worth Nowt??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
My sv was appraised by a dealer at 30k miles with no service hsitiry and tele colours at 1500 quid against a second hand svthou and £1200 agains a new one!!! the cars you can buy for that are crap! so y are they worth nowt,
The reasons are given in your post............... buyers like a full service history, especially on a bike that's a few years old and has done a few miles...........

Buyers also like standard bikes, so unless your Telefonica colours were a bona-fide Suzuki ltd edition then they will be wary of your bike. "Why has it been painted - crash damage?" is what they'll ask. You'd ask the same question if you were in the marked for used SV.

There are plenty of used SVs around, many will be standard and have fsh. If the dealer has a few in stock then yours might be hard to shift.
Old 12-11-04, 01:43 PM   #4

I understand about my bike i did declare it is a cat c, im not to worried about that as im not selling it, but even w reg with fssh with 10k miles are about £2200
I was also talking relativly, compared with other stuff on the market!

With you on the commuting front though!
Old 12-11-04, 01:59 PM   #5
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
I understand about my bike i did declare it is a cat c, im not to worried about that as im not selling it, but even w reg with fssh with 10k miles are about £2200
That's the way with trade-ins. The Dealer will add £700 to that for the "sticker price" as a point for opening negitiations............... Sticker price of £2.9k is a lot for a 4-year old bike that probably cost only £4k new.

The other side of the coin is there's simply loads of budget 600-class bikes available 2nd hand. Sure, they're always in great demand amongst newbies, but the difference in price between a decent used one and a new one has to tempt a buyer towards to used one or it won't sell.

Then there's the competition from other manufacturers and buyers will often buy on taking into account the condition of the bikes. I'm talking build quality - how many sorry-looking Fazers (fork-legs, filler-cap surrounds, rusty bolts, etc.) have you seen in a dealers and walked straight past? Sorry, but whilst it's better built that that, the SV is a bit of a cheapo in some areas and if neglected can look very tatty.

I'm a living example of the above. Year-old Hornet or new SV? I chose the former and, whilst it certainly wasn't the deciding factor, I couldn't get out of my mind a couple of less than pristine 2-year old SVs in the dealers at the time.

Add to the above the fact that the bike-market is flatter than a supermodel's chest at the moment.................... new prices are being heavily discounted and there is a knock-on effect on residuals.
Old 12-11-04, 02:24 PM   #6
Wiltshire7

take a look at biketrader, people r trying to sell their 2/3 year old bikes for £500 less than they r new! if people do actually pay such a stupid price then id say the sv does fine on resale.
Old 12-11-04, 04:59 PM   #7
danpie

i got my sk3 brand new back in feb this year. i paid £4100. i have kept it in pristine condition and have only put 5000miles on the clock.
k&n and new can but still have the original parts.
i went into a harley/buell dealer last month to enquire about part ex.
they offered me £1700 on mine against a new sportser! now i expected a bit of a loss but that is over 50% loss in 8 months!!!!!
if i'd have known this i might not have got the sv in the first place!
dan
Old 12-11-04, 05:07 PM   #8
Wiltshire7

thats just an insult, u could easily get more than that for it. i wouldhave thought for a part exchange they would do a good deal....

it really isnt the best time of year to be selling though.
Old 12-11-04, 05:27 PM   #9
danpie

truly an insult and i told her exactly where she could stick her £1700!!!!!!
i agree its not the best time of year to sell, but as with all things, its the best time for a good deal on a new bike!
dan
Old 12-11-04, 05:36 PM   #10
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpie
truly an insult and i told her exactly where she could stick her £1700!!!!!!
i agree its not the best time of year to sell, but as with all things, its the best time for a good deal on a new bike!
dan
You might have been offered more for it if you were to trade it for a bike that isn't selling too well - dealers get bonuses for shifting stock and have monthly targets from the manufacturers.

Harley/Buell on the other hand don't have huge quotas, don't generally struggle to sell their bikes and so don't need the aggro of passing a used "other brand" bike through the trade (they usually don't sell used bikes that aren't Harley/Buell). They are lucky in that they can afford to offer a pittance for japanese bikes because their business won't suffer if you walk out of the door. You don't buy the bike then someone else will. this is why it's difficult to haggle with 'em.

It's the same with BMW. Better to sell your bike privately and walk into the dealers with the cash.