SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-03-24, 02:23 PM   #31
redtrummy

Default Re: running on one

Progress made! A 5inch set of mole grips undid the two screws opposite each other, the third was removed by tapping the float bowl until the seal gave, then the screwdriver undid it.
You were crack on with the diagnoses R1FF (I hope) the float was stuck in the up position, on touching it, it dropped. Checking the needle its internal spring seemed weak compered to the new one. All changed plus a going over with carb cleaner and a blast out with compressed air. Carbs back together with vacuum hose extended on the front carb ready for balancing if the bike runs ok after carb refitted
Once again thank you R1FF
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-24, 02:46 PM   #32
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Progress made! A 5inch set of mole grips undid the two screws opposite each other, the third was removed by tapping the float bowl until the seal gave, then the screwdriver undid it.
You were crack on with the diagnoses R1FF (I hope) the float was stuck in the up position, on touching it, it dropped. Checking the needle its internal spring seemed weak compered to the new one. All changed plus a going over with carb cleaner and a blast out with compressed air. Carbs back together with vacuum hose extended on the front carb ready for balancing if the bike runs ok after carb refitted
Once again thank you R1FF
Great news

I've been servicing CV carbs for around 20 years now 1st on my old Hondas and now my SV. Icing on the cake when all good is the ,"Carb Balance",

http://straticus.epizy.com/SV650CarbBalance.html?i=1

I suffer from Industrial VWF ( Vibration White Finger) plus a damaged right shoulder/neck that took best part of 3 years Physio and Cortisone injections to get back to useful so I have to keep my SV smooth.

Considering my SV is now 25 years old it rides as smooth as if it was only a few years out of the Show-Room and always gives great MPG
Old 09-03-24, 01:27 PM   #33
redtrummy

carbs refitted, and it started! - had to tweak to get the tickover down to 1.5ishk. Cannot fully test as its sorned, but MOT possible on the 24th and if all is well, then a balance. Probably end up doing a 2 bottle DIY job.
Got a friend that suffers from white finger after a lifetimes work in the mines. His first job was looking after the Pit ponies!
Old 09-03-24, 02:02 PM   #34
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
carbs refitted, and it started! - had to tweak to get the tickover down to 1.5ishk. Cannot fully test as its sorned, but MOT possible on the 24th and if all is well, then a balance. Probably end up doing a 2 bottle DIY job.
Got a friend that suffers from white finger after a lifetimes work in the mines. His first job was looking after the Pit ponies!
Once you can get the carbs balanced it does no harm to run some fuel/petrol cleaner. I put a couple of egg-cup fulls in every few tanks. I always keep my eyes out in ASDA as they sometimes have a good double bottle deal on Redex but the best stuff I've used is this,

Carlube fuel cleaner eBay

It seems to give a bit of pep to the engine but I also believe it negates any side-effects of E10 fuel. I've used fuel additives for decades and never yet had a stale fuel problem when I used to ,"Winterize" my Motorcycles
Old 23-04-24, 12:54 PM   #35
redtrummy

Finally! Weather forecast on bbc and on the met seemed to indicate a dry day, managed to book the MOT for today (after countless no answers from the test station). Got it out of the garage and immediately it started to rain! However bike seems to run fine and it has passed. Good to go from the first of May although I hope the weather warms up, it was pretty cold out there
Old 23-04-24, 12:58 PM   #36
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Finally! Weather forecast on bbc and on the met seemed to indicate a dry day, managed to book the MOT for today (after countless no answers from the test station). Got it out of the garage and immediately it started to rain! However bike seems to run fine and it has passed. Good to go from the first of May although I hope the weather warms up, it was pretty cold out there
Great You can at least start to fine tune and shake out the cobwebs