SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-10-23, 06:53 PM   #1
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default SV650 vs GSX8S

Interesting read https://www.visordown.com/reviews/ve...sx-8s-vs-sv650

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 13-10-23, 08:12 PM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650 vs GSX8S

I've owned my SV for 38k miles/7 years and my GSX for 800 miles/2 months (?) and I like riding the GSX but I like riding the SV more. My SV has the best gearbox of any bike I've owned/ridden, the bike sounds good, has amazing engine braking (just as well since the brakes are mediocre). It doesn't vibrate much and (with a custom seat) is comfortable. It can be ridden in a lazy but relaxing fashion and (at sane speeds) is frugal.

The GSX requires a bit more thought, it handles very well and seems remarkably stable yet changes direction effortlessly. Pushing it around the garage it feels much heavier than the SV (it isn't that much heavier) and yet I find it easier to ride really slowly (heavy traffic walking pace) than the SV. Gear changing requires consideration and precision (I really don't like to hear clunks). On the other hand I tried 4th to 5th to 6th using the quickshifter and it was fun but I'm not generally in that much of a hurry, but it was smooooth! I'm reluctant to use the q/s going down because it feels "wrong" (as in something I shouldn't be doing - but that's me being an old git with ingrained habits). The brakes are something the SV dreams about as is the surge when you open the throttle up - the torque is really nice.

The GSX doesn't have a nice sounding engine (imho), you are far more aware of mechanical bits thrashing around than you are with an SV (and the SV engine isn't one of the quietest). I don't hear my SV engine when I'm riding, I certainly hear the GSX which also has a pronounced whistle (a bit like a Street Triple) which I can even hear at 65-70mph when wearing ear plugs. I should mention that the XSR (CP2) engine didn't sound all that good either (to me) - perhaps it's the stubby exhaust outlet with the exhaust muffling happening underneath the engine which makes the engine noise more noticeable. Maybe I need better earplugs

Progress? I still think slip/assist clutches are unnecessary on a bike of this power, they do occasional odd things and sometimes don't feel "right". Ride by wire? Why? Yes, if you want to fit cruise control, if not, why bother? The SV throttle response is much more precise. I keep waiting for Fowlers to add the GSX to their parts list as I'm curious how much the LED headlight assembly will cost. Based on my previous bikes that had LED head lights they will be outrageously expensive.

Both bikes fit me well and it's easy to switch from one to the other whereas I struggled switching from the SV to the XSR. First world problems?
The Missenden Flyer had a short ride on the GSX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TmnfVc7Xwk
He seemed to like it but he has bought a Z900RS so I'm not sure I can trust his judgement

Last edited by Seeker; 13-10-23 at 08:23 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote