SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-08-19, 09:06 AM   #1
CMC94

Default 1999 sv650 curby - ulez & catalytic converter

Hi All,

First post as new to the forum and proud new SV650 owner (Love it!).

Will keep this short and simple.

Have my 1999 SV650 (Naked) booked in for NoX testing at Riverbank motorcycles to see if I can get it exempt from ULEZ. Am finding it very hard to find out if any one has actually had this gen of SV pass...so any info would be appreciated

Could be BS but I've heard that putting in a catalytic converter to the exhaust will give me a good chance? Anyone heard of this or can point me in right direction?

My bike it totally stock and from what I can tell has been very well looked after.

Any help on the above would be amazing.

Thank you.
CMC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-19, 10:37 AM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: 1999 sv650 curby - ulez & catalytic converter

Can't answer your questions directly, but FWIW some info on cat exhausts on carb bikes.
The post 2002 Deauville 650 for example had an oxidation catalyst with pulse-air injection and carbs. This however would only address some HC and CO issues at a superficial level.
The chances of an aftermarket fit cat of any description working with unregulated carbs to lower NOx would be slim, it would be essential to avoid any lean excursions. It depends a bit what raw emissions you get from the bike as it stands. If it is purely a NOx issue then running it set richer than normal would lower NOx levels substantially, it could possibly be the difference between passing and not.
You will often see advice such as you can "only" use a cat with EFI, but that is not true. I am not aware, however, of any carb bike set up using reduction catalysts to lower NOx. That was not really the major issue at the time when such arrangements were produced (circa 2002), oxidation of HC+CO was the problem addressed. The formulation of an oxidation cat would probably not work successfully at NOx reduction, slightly different chemistry is usually used, though something designed as a 3-way might just manage something measurable if the bike runs rich. Any free oxygen would inhibit any NOx conversion in those circumstances.
If someone else has done something similar (I'm sure they have somewhere), then any tech info would be invaluable. Ultimately the simplest thing is to buy a compliant bike, but that wasn't the question.
Old 28-08-19, 09:38 AM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC94 View Post
Hi All,

First post as new to the forum and proud new SV650 owner (Love it!).

Will keep this short and simple.

Have my 1999 SV650 (Naked) booked in for NoX testing at Riverbank motorcycles to see if I can get it exempt from ULEZ. Am finding it very hard to find out if any one has actually had this gen of SV pass...so any info would be appreciated

Could be BS but I've heard that putting in a catalytic converter to the exhaust will give me a good chance? Anyone heard of this or can point me in right direction?

My bike it totally stock and from what I can tell has been very well looked after.

Any help on the above would be amazing.

Thank you.

Interesting article here,

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/plent...emptions-test/
Old 29-08-19, 08:11 AM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Put it in and see what happens. A bloke got an RD500 yvps through earlier this year to prove it was a joke test

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-19, 11:12 AM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

It's not a joke test. TfL have determined that motorcycles should comply with the NOx levels defined in the Euro3 standard, they haven't required any other regulated pollutant compliance. Had they said bikes must comply with Euro3 in full it would be a different ball game.

NOx emissions are highly load/temperature dependent, and air/fuel ratio and any residual internal EGR from valve overlap affect the raw NOx emissions substantially. You can have an engine running rich and producing huge amounts of HC+CO but NOx may be negligible.

I refrain from comment on TfL's choice of emission definitions, one would hope they understand the consequences of the decisions they made.
Old 28-10-19, 11:07 AM   #6
stinkerbill

Have you had it tested yet? What was the result?
stinkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote