SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-17, 06:25 PM   #1071
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Just had the two connector blocks apart in the front right of the fairing, black one and yellow one. The lcd on the instrument panel was not coming on and sometimes the speedo would fail to register for a short while after riding off. Cleaned all the connectors with an emery board, dowsed it in switch cleaner and then ACF50. Put them back together and now the lcd is really clear where it had been pretty dim before. Result!
Although I've not been on this forum long I've been advocating the use of ACF50 for well over 10 years on other forums.When you get chance get the rear fairing off and do the Stator main connector block and all connectors and bulb holders etc as above.

It's one of the first things I did when got my Curvy earlier this year.Anytime I have to have something apart that allows me access to connectors I service them with Switch cleaner and ACF50 just like the other week I put a Xenon H4 bulb in my headlight and a LED parking bulb so did all the connectors and holders whilst in there and when I had the stuff off to repair my Tacho Decal.
Under anything but extreme conditions I've found ACF50 to halt corrosion on connectors for at least two years.My old CX500s were left out in the rain and elements,no covers and never let me down once treated.

My 10 penn'th

Note:ACF50 also slows down the degradation of coolant hoses

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 22-08-17 at 06:27 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-17, 03:04 PM   #1072
DomP

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Although I've not been on this forum long I've been advocating the use of ACF50 for well over 10 years on other forums.When you get chance get the rear fairing off and do the Stator main connector block and all connectors and bulb holders etc as above.

It's one of the first things I did when got my Curvy earlier this year.Anytime I have to have something apart that allows me access to connectors I service them with Switch cleaner and ACF50 just like the other week I put a Xenon H4 bulb in my headlight and a LED parking bulb so did all the connectors and holders whilst in there and when I had the stuff off to repair my Tacho Decal.
Under anything but extreme conditions I've found ACF50 to halt corrosion on connectors for at least two years.My old CX500s were left out in the rain and elements,no covers and never let me down once treated.

My 10 penn'th

Note:ACF50 also slows down the degradation of coolant hoses
Who needs a toolbox anyway? Didn't even remove anything to cut it out, I used my makita multi-colour.

Just need to find a suitable shock to replace the bouncy sv one.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 27-08-17, 03:05 PM   #1073
DomP

Oops quoted R1ffR4ff by accident

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 27-08-17, 03:32 PM   #1074
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
just like the other week I put a Xenon H4 bulb in my headlight and a LED parking bulb
Good advice about servicing electrical connectors as once they start to corrode it is a vicious circle, the more they corrode the hotter they get, the hotter they get the more they corrode................ water contains oxygen which feeds corrosion of metals, keep water away and jobs a goodun.

I had a few (good quality) LED side light bulbs fail in my Civic because the side light is in the same reflector as the headlight bulb, they basically got fried by the heat from xenon filament bulb. I have now fitted LED headlamp bulbs so hope the side light will last longer. I have fitted LED H4 headlight bulb into my AL7 single headlight, so took the chance to fit an LED wedge side light bulb a same time. The fan less philips Z-ES chipped bulbs from classiccarleds are bright and silent with a great (legal) beam pattern - I have attached photos of beam pattern from H4 LED bulbs in my wife's Honda Jazz both on garage door and on the road if anyone interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02807.jpg (107.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02801.jpg (107.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02800.jpg (105.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02806.jpg (107.2 KB, 0 views)

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 29-08-17 at 08:49 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 05:10 PM   #1075
Bibio
Mega Poster

in my quest for 100mile mark comfort i have reduced the height and shaping a stock SV seat to fit a tourtech air pad so its still low enough for me. will be fitting a gel pad into the seat just in case it i dont like the air pad.

i've lost count the number of designs i have tried but it must be about 10. best one only allows me to go 60miles then my arz is completely numb and sore.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 06:14 PM   #1076
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
in my quest for 100mile mark comfort i have reduced the height and shaping a stock SV seat to fit a tourtech air pad so its still low enough for me. will be fitting a gel pad into the seat just in case it i dont like the air pad.

i've lost count the number of designs i have tried but it must be about 10. best one only allows me to go 60miles then my arz is completely numb and sore.
I was the same with the stock seat, after 90 minutes my @rse needed life-support. I got a Suzi gel seat and found it much better, I can now do 3 hours at a time.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 06:22 PM   #1077
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

I reckon you'd be better moving the battery and making a custom subframe. Then you could have an even lower, yet comfier seat. It might even let you raise the rear suspension back up
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 06:26 PM   #1078
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

How about,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ded+underpants

On my 1999 Curvy I don;t seem to suffer from the dreaded NB until after about 180 miles or say four or five hours out on a day and then rarely
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81h717OQ-0L._SL1500_.jpg (21.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 01-09-17 at 06:28 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 06:36 PM   #1079
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I was the same with the stock seat, after 90 minutes my @rse needed life-support. I got a Suzi gel seat and found it much better, I can now do 3 hours at a time.
got the suzuki gel and its shizz. the gel is wayyy to hard

finished inserting the gel pad and i have put the air pad on top. i'm sitting on it right new and its very very comfy cant feel any pressure points. feels a bit 'squishy' though.
Old 02-09-17, 07:51 PM   #1080
Bibio
Mega Poster

seat is upholstered and on the bike and its perfect height with the tourtech air pad

i'll be trying it out the morra.