SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 23-11-06, 12:27 PM   #1
plowsie

Default I need a new chain(any ideas)

Hi all

My Sv650s 2001 model i have just bought has a very loose chain the bike has 18,000+ miles on it so i am assuming that the chain and sprockets have never been changed. At the moment i am not riding the bike till next week if i pass my test but i have had a look at the play on the chain and there's more than 2 inches which even i know is a little bit too much. The back wheel is not rite back on the settings but i would still like to buy a new chain and sprockets due to my 1st impressions of the bike never seeing a new chain.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to the best quality chain and sprocket sets to look for and the prices they should be. I know another thing to ask is what i am looking for ie. mileage, performance etc etc. I shall be using the bike day to day to and from work so mileage and long life is what i am looking for. I have checked with local garages and they can fit for around £30(Sterling).

I look forward to replies and suggestions.

Cheers

Stu
Old 23-11-06, 12:30 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

As a guide, I can get my local place in London to do a supply and fit of a chain and sprocket for an SV @ £130 (not sure if thats pre-VAT tho)

Only £60 for my CG125.....

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-06, 10:31 AM   #3
plowsie

Default X-ring/O-ring

Can any1 tell me the difference between an O-ring and X-ring chain? It can be explained in dummies term or complicated.

Many Thanks

Stu
Old 01-12-06, 11:44 AM   #4
plowsie

All sorted new D.I.D chain and standard steel sprockets ordered yesterday.