SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 07-09-10, 02:48 PM   #11
N8te rider

Default Re: 1st time with Roxy at Rockingham - WOW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
I did actually overtake a trackbike on slicks at silverstone so the bikes might be Fast but some of the riders aint!!

Yeah, dunno when I'm doing another yet, getting married in october so after then I guess. Some good cheap deals go around that time too.
Wow! congrats mate
Old 07-09-10, 06:09 PM   #12
TazDaz

...and you're going into novices at Cadwell?!
Old 08-09-10, 05:10 PM   #13
muffles

Looks like you have some pretty good body positioning there I thought. You've got your head right out which is something I see a lot of people *not* doing, and they end up twisting their body - check out the guy on the left of the picture in the 4th picture down. It's not too bad in that example but you can see he's sticking his ****/knee out but keeping his head in. It's not the be-all-and-end-all and plenty of quick people don't keep their spine in-line with the bike, but I've never heard anyone recommending to do that. I personally find it easier to get my head out near where the mirror would be as it helps me focus on looking round the corner instead of at the gravel trap

I can't actually see if you've got cheeks off the seat or not, it looks like you might have to some degree, it's possibly just that you haven't stuck the knee out far enough. Maybe a combination of both that and not getting off the seat quite enough, but the lean looks fine to me?

How are your feet positioned - toes on the peg? If on the peg, do you put them on the end of the peg or a bit further in? I used to use the end of the peg (was easier to move side to side I thought) but you go through toe sliders (and then boots) in no time if you do that - I had my rearsets moved all the way back and up too (although they are just the standard ones so not massively adjustable).
Old 09-09-10, 02:09 AM   #14
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8te rider View Post
Agree. Its not fair when track bikes are allowed to go in novice. The fact they have a track bike should tell the organizers that they are experienced. Oh well. Let us know next time you're doing a track day, I'll try and come with if thats cool
Not necessarily! Having trackbike means that you have a trackbike - that is all. It isn't a reflection of the riders skill.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 07:09 AM   #15
injury_ian

Epic Rockingham trackday action! that last photo is neat.
Old 09-09-10, 07:37 AM   #16
LankyIanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
Not necessarily! Having trackbike means that you have a trackbike - that is all. It isn't a reflection of the riders skill.
+1

At some point next year this will be me. Trackbike and no trackday experience. Have done a "few" Haslam days and CSS Level 1 but at the point I do my first trackday with the SV it'll probably be my first time at that track and first time with that bike on track. I'll be in the novices group.

If they decide to move me up after a session or three, fine but the last thing I'll want is any pressure to go fast from the off. To be perfectly honest, I'll probably go for a novices only day if I can.

Regards your pictures - if you can spend some time with instructors a few hints and pointers here and there make a huge difference! If I look at my photos from the Haslam days I've gone from bolt upright and tense with bum glued to the middle of the seat to relaxed, hanging off and knee down.
Old 09-09-10, 12:19 PM   #17
N8te rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
How are your feet positioned - toes on the peg? If on the peg, do you put them on the end of the peg or a bit further in? I used to use the end of the peg (was easier to move side to side I thought) but you go through toe sliders (and then boots) in no time if you do that - I had my rearsets moved all the way back and up too (although they are just the standard ones so not massively adjustable).
My feet usually sit central on the pegs, not on my toes, and stick out on the ends. Will have to work on this also. They seem to always go there when Im concentrating on other things and forget my feet. I guess if my feet are tucked in and toes on the pegs I should be able to point my knee downward?
Old 09-09-10, 03:14 PM   #18
LankyIanB

Toes on the ends of the pegs wears out toe sliders BUT gives a warning that you're getting close to touching the pegs down. This isn't so much of an issue with hinged OEM pegs but is something to be careful of if you've got replacement pegs that don't hinge. It's also a hint that you're getting close to the edge of the tyre...
Old 10-09-10, 09:22 PM   #19
rusty76

N8te, did u do the national or international circuit at Rock?
Old 13-09-10, 07:57 AM   #20
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8te rider View Post
My feet usually sit central on the pegs, not on my toes, and stick out on the ends. Will have to work on this also. They seem to always go there when Im concentrating on other things and forget my feet. I guess if my feet are tucked in and toes on the pegs I should be able to point my knee downward?
I (personally) think it makes it a bit easier to get your knee in the right position, yeah. It may be more psychological than anything, though. You might find it makes it easier to move around on the seat too, the way I see my feet are like pivot points I guess, when I want to move left or right I actually lift rather than slide myself, this is easier for me with my toes on the pegs.

If you've got your lines OK already (since that's usually the first thing to get right) then try taking a few mph off your pace and working on your body positioning. Hopefully it will give you more time to think what you're doing and try out different body position...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyIanB View Post
Toes on the ends of the pegs wears out toe sliders BUT gives a warning that you're getting close to touching the pegs down. This isn't so much of an issue with hinged OEM pegs but is something to be careful of if you've got replacement pegs that don't hinge. It's also a hint that you're getting close to the edge of the tyre...
Yes, true - luckily I never did touch the pegs down (on this bike anyway ) - but I wouldn't fancy doing it with fixed pegs. However maybe fixed pegs, since they will be aftermarket, will be high enough that you can use the ends instead without worry.