SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-05-14, 09:12 PM   #131
Entropy

Default Re: Halal meat

Not asthma sufferers but people who have panic attacks...
Old 13-05-14, 09:13 PM   #132
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
are you sure?

Didn't they used to make asthma sufferers breathe into a paper bag to increase their CO2 levels and calm them down?
No, with an acute asthma attack constriction of the bronchioles restricts gas exchange in the lungs. Hypoxia (blue lips), hypercapnia (panic and increased respiratory effort)

The paper bag thing is for hyperventilating people for other reasons I'm not familiar with, but it's basically an effort to raise blood ppCO2 to avoid the effects of an overly low blood CO2 level on the brains blood flow.

(no medical background just read a lot of Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Journal cos I like designing dive kit)
Old 13-05-14, 09:16 PM   #133
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
No, with an acute asthma attack constriction of the bronchioles restricts gas exchange in the lungs. Hypoxia (blue lips), hypercapnia (panic and increased respiratory effort)

The paper bag thing is for hyperventilating people for other reasons I'm not familiar with, but it's basically an effort to raise blood ppCO2 to avoid the effects of an overly low blood CO2 level on the brains blood flow.

(no medical background just read a lot of Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Journal cos I like designing dive kit)
Ok so I was close but out on the exact reason. I knew they used to do it for some people, but I'm still sure there was something about it calming you down. Plus I know from work that they say raised CO2 (or CO) levels can be dangerous because you don't notice them without a gas detector except by feeling drowsy and by then it's probably too late.
Old 13-05-14, 09:23 PM   #134
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Ok so I was close but out on the exact reason. I knew they used to do it for some people, but I'm still sure there was something about it calming you down. Plus I know from work that they say raised CO2 (or CO) levels can be dangerous because you don't notice them without a gas detector except by feeling drowsy and by then it's probably too late.
Competely different mechanism of action. CO2 is detectable although can still be dangerous in very large quantities as it's still an asphyxiant. But you could still breath 80%co2 20%o2 and probably not die, maybe. Although it's VERY psychoactive. CO2 retention on a dive feels like "get me the foook out of here", feeling of impending doom, feeling of not being able to breath enough, feeling of wanting to rip mask etc off to "take a big breath"... scary stuff!

CO is the silent killer, that has a mechanism which can attach to large amounts of red blood, massively reducing O2 transfer a lot more than it's concentration should let it. A few percent in an otherwise life sustaining gas mix can be fatal. You just quietly go to sleep because the O2 in the air isn't making it to the brain.

(yes geeky but worth knowing...)
Old 13-05-14, 09:45 PM   #135
DJFridge

Carbon monoxide poisoning does have symptoms, the problem is that headaches, dizziness, tiredness, nausea or confusion are not exactly specific, so it can be easily missed.

I must have missed a couple of pages, what's CO poisoning got to do with Halal meat?
Old 13-05-14, 11:11 PM   #136
thulfi

Quote:
The thing about vegetarians is they may not be eating meat but, of the plants they are eating, they are essentially ripping the unborn babies away from their mothers and devouring them.
Not to mention the extra strain that veggies put on our healthcare system in general.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.