SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-05-14, 10:18 PM   #41
Spank86

Default Re: Halal meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs DJ Fridge View Post
I could never be a vegetarian, I love leather shoes and handbags.
I'm not sure you're supposed to be eating those.
Old 08-05-14, 10:18 PM   #42
DJFridge

Animals are tasty; fact. Animals that lead relatively happy and stress-free lives are more tasty than factory-farmed unhappy animals; also fact. So, even ignoring any moral arguments, it's in our interests to raise animals properly. I grew up as a city boy so I didn't get a lot of opportunity to kill and eat stuff, although I did once kill a couple of trout to eat and they were yummy. If I buy meat, it's from a local farm shop because I know where it comes from. No killing of animals is a nice thing, but stun and slit is more "humane" than most. If that happens to make it Halal then, quite frankly, meh! Doesn't bother me either way.
Old 08-05-14, 10:23 PM   #43
Mrs DJ Fridge

I would never chew on my favourite shoes or handbags, but I hate it when people say I am a vegetarian but the still use leather goods, where on earth do they think leather comes from? Idiots!
Old 08-05-14, 10:34 PM   #44
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Don't you think it would be better to offer halal meat as an alternative, rather than forcing it to anyone who buys it? That would make the most business sense.

What if every high street food place goes down this route and do away with bacon and ham? Bacon and ham are tasty
I doubt it, otherwise that's probably what they would be doing. Who can say for sure, but my guess is the extra cost of buying chicken from two different suppliers doesn't justify the loss of earnings from selling only halal chicken. I've never met anyone who won't eat halal meat for the fact that it's halal other than a handful of sikh people (Jews obviously only eat Kosher anyway). I certainly haven't met any christians/atheists or whatever who give a damn.

I don't quite understand not selling bacon or ham though, but again I'm sure they've analysed it all before making the decision.

On a side note, this Russell Brand clip is pretty funny. Sums up the Sun's headline today quite well.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZYG...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-05-14, 10:42 PM   #45
Specialone

I care about halal meat, if I know it's halal I won't wanna eat it, should be a choice not a condition.
Old 08-05-14, 10:58 PM   #46
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
I care about halal meat, if I know it's halal I won't wanna eat it, should be a choice not a condition.
do you eat 'indian' takeaways?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 11:20 PM   #47
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Halal meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post
I doubt it, otherwise that's probably what they would be doing. Who can say for sure, but my guess is the extra cost of buying chicken from two different suppliers doesn't justify the loss of earnings from selling only halal chicken. I've never met anyone who won't eat halal meat for the fact that it's halal other than a handful of sikh people (Jews obviously only eat Kosher anyway). I certainly haven't met any christians/atheists or whatever who give a damn.

I don't quite understand not selling bacon or ham though, but again I'm sure they've analysed it all before making the decision.

On a side note, this Russell Brand clip is pretty funny. Sums up the Sun's headline today quite well.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZYG...ature=youtu.be

Lol at halal chicken must be alive when slaughtered!
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 11:25 PM   #48
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Lol at halal chicken must be alive when slaughtered!
Haha yeah +1.
Old 09-05-14, 05:21 AM   #49
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
do you eat 'indian' takeaways?
Nope.
You are missing my point, i don't want it rammed down my throat, if I go in to a restaurant and they say all the meat they have is halal, I'll walk out.

I'm sure I've ate it, but if businesses convert all their meat to halal to satisfy a minority, i won't eat there.

It will be our laws next.
Old 09-05-14, 06:14 AM   #50
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
Nope.
I'm sure I've ate it, but if businesses convert all their meat to halal to satisfy a minority, i won't eat there.

It will be our laws next.
This is exactly the type of paranoia that articles like the sun are great at instigating and fuelling. Do you really think that companies add halal meat for anything other than improving their business and making more money? They can't appease every minority by way of the meat they serve, and I'm sure they don't give a toss anyway. And don't worry, I'm sure our laws are safe.

Out of interest do you eat fish? You have no problem about suffocating something to death but won't eat a throat slit animal? If you care so much about the last few minutes of a chicken you never knew abouts life, why are you eating it in the first place?