SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 24-04-10, 11:53 AM   #151
Bri w

Default Re: The Single malt appreciation thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
The Speyside and Islay were perfectly drinkable too. And since I've started on the budget whisky being the tight ar$e that I am, I may as well continue!

Sainsburys have a Laphroaig Quarter Cask on offer at £22 at the moment. It's under 6 yr old, 5 years then 7 months in the quarter cask. Apparently being 1/4 of the volume in each cask means it doesn't need so long to mature, but maybe that's a gimmick. A bit harsh on it's own, but at 48% abv, you'd expect to add a few drops water to this one, and of course that means you get more whisky out of your 70cl bottle With just the right amount it rounds off very nicely and is very similar to a Laphroaig 10 yr old.

Sainsbury's also do the equivalent to the Tesco's own label malts, and I'm about to crack open their 'Taste the Difference' Highland one now and will report back. I wouldn't be surprised if it's exactly the same as the Tesco's one, bought by the barrel from the same distillery, but it's also on offer at the moment for a bit over 14 quid, so I thought I'd give it a go.
Water? Water?!!

Ralph.........Water?!

You are right in that on occasion you should add a bit of water but ideally it should be water from the source used in the whisky. Next best thing would a be bottled spring water but please don't say you've been using tap water - all that chlorine & flouride...yuck!

Last Saturday of the month. Tonight is 'Shooter's night.' At 5:00pm we start on the top shelf and spoil ourselves - by 8:00pm the snooker will be a little different.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-10, 06:48 AM   #152
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
Water? Water?!!

Ralph.........Water?!

You are right in that on occasion you should add a bit of water but ideally it should be water from the source used in the whisky. Next best thing would a be bottled spring water but please don't say you've been using tap water - all that chlorine & flouride...yuck!

Last Saturday of the month. Tonight is 'Shooter's night.' At 5:00pm we start on the top shelf and spoil ourselves - by 8:00pm the snooker will be a little different.

Up where you live your tap water shouldn't be that bad? It's actually not too bad in Solihull, if your happy with the taste of your water from the tap, then it's OK to use a few drops in your Whisky. I know what you mean though, my Sister used to live in London where the tap water had been through somebody elses body ten times, and you came out of the shower smelling like you'd been in the swimming pool and it tasted disgusting! If your visiting a pub or hotel, ask for bottled water (Scottish if possible, not bloody Evian!) if your at home and you know your water, you might be happy to use it.

It's only whisky that carry the distilleries own label that use the source water from the distillery anyway, and even the same source may not be the same water in every case as originally used in the whisky, as local changes that happen upstream in the decade or more that the whisky is in the cask, such as buildings, drainage, etc, can change the water supply.

Whiskies that are bottled by third parties such as Gordon and Macphails, will have been bought by the cask at cask strength and diluted elsewhere, by a different master blender. The same goes for any Pure Malts, or blended whiskies.

Lots of cheap label spirits are actually diluted at the bottling hall.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 25-04-10 at 06:56 AM.
Old 25-04-10, 09:17 AM   #153
Kilted Ginger

The best "budget" malt about imho is Glen Grant. You tend to find it at co-op for £12-£15 for a litre. Failing that Asda are doing Jura for £17 now.

do you get co-op in england or is it a scottish chain??
Old 25-04-10, 10:10 AM   #154
rictus01
Mega Poster

yes we do, I was pleasently surprise when I was given a bottle of waitrose's own brand single, no idea what it was, but most palatable.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-10, 04:22 PM   #155
-Ralph-

Yes, but here they are always called co-op, nohing like the Scotmid brand name exists. O think Co-op bought Somerfield recently so they are all changing to co-op too, and if the haven't changed shop branding already they probably will have the same whisky deals and co-op branded products on the shelves.
Old 07-09-10, 11:58 AM   #156
TheRamJam
Mega Poster

Just thought i'd share with you all that last weekend I was Best Man at my mates wedding at Comlongon Castle in Dumfries. Lovely lovely place indeed. Pics are on me FaceBook for those of you who have FB!

We were staying a little up the road in the Dryfesdale in Lockerbie. My mate decided to marry an English burd so afte the speeches and the nice dinner I decided to introduce the brides father to some single Malt Whiskeys from our land

We sampled some Balvenie DoubleWood 12yo, a Glenkinchie 12yo and Talisker 10yo. All drunk neat i might add. My favourite out the 3 was the Balvenie a nice smooth taste and it got better as it warmed up.

Its been a while sine a had a wee tipple but i must say a bottle of Balvenie will be on my xmas list lol
Yamaha MT 10 - Sold

Current Bike: Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory

Last edited by TheRamJam; 07-09-10 at 12:00 PM.
TheRamJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-10, 09:32 AM   #157
sc00by

Big whisky drinker here although no particular favorites. Only 2 whiskys I did not like: Talisker 18yr, just tasted weird and Suntory Yamazaki 10yr, that is just not whisky. Japs should stick to making bikes.

I have another bottle of the Talisker 18yr if anyone wants to do a swap.

I've been trying to build up a collection of malts. It peaked at 13 bottles a few years back. It's currently 5...

I'm partial to a blend too; Johnny Walker Swing is nice, and I love Chivas Regal.
Old 13-09-10, 09:39 AM   #158
sc00by

Oh, and never tasted an Irish Whiskey that I actually enjoyed, I avoid them completely now.

Was over in Arran last weekend, picked up a 14yr from the arran distillery, saving that for a special occassion.
Old 13-09-10, 10:22 AM   #159
-Ralph-

Wife bought me a Glenfiddich "Rich Oak" for our anniversary. It says was matured for 14 years, then "finished off" in American and Spanish Oak casks, how long it was in those casks for I have no idea. It's very nice though.
Old 28-09-10, 06:22 PM   #160
Foey

I treated myself to a bottle of Jura 16yr old at the airport, i like Jura & Jura Superstition so thought i'd give it a go, must say i'm very pleased with it, smoth mellow & very drinkable.
Shame i can't have any tonight as i've just had a molar pulled & cant have alcohol for at least 24hrs.