SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 25-06-05, 04:42 PM   #81
jonboy

I thought about it but decided it would be really greasy as well after all the hot weather and this would give misleading feedback from the Road Attacks.

Old 26-06-05, 10:52 AM   #82
Carsick

I think I might try those sport attacks, next. I'm gonna need new tyres before the end of the year.
Old 19-07-05, 09:47 PM   #83
jonboy

2000 mile report:

Still haven't been out in the wet yet Not avoiding it just been riding in great weather.

Okay, how are they feeling? Good. Better grip IMHO than either the 020 or even the 010. In fact so soft is the compound (contrary to popular belief) that the leading edges of the tread are wearing really fast on the front, so much so that I anticipate that they'll need changing after 5000 miles, which is hardly the wear I was expecting. The sides of the tyres now have a nice sandpaper texture to them, so obviously I'm working them hot and hard.

Admitedly I've been throwing them around the A507 a hell of a lot and using the sides of the tyres far more than previously (just less straight road riding) but the wear rate is still a little disappointing. But the performance honestly makes up for it. Yes they're quicker and more nervous than 020s (so may not suit true novice riders) but they certainly give feedback and don't let go.

Would I replace them with the same? More than likely.

Old 20-07-05, 06:37 AM   #84
Red ones
Mega Poster

Interesting reading. I am up for replacing my 020s - for once they have worn out at the same time!

Bob's Tyres in Stevenage have quoted £163 fully fitted. If I get Jonboys predicted 7500 miles a pair they may not sound unreasonable. I get about 6000 to an 020 rear and 9000 to an 020 front (much the same as I did to those awful Mez4s!). I am putting together a rather wizzy spreadsheet to work out things like cost benefit, so will plug the figures in later, but i think it sounds OK.

For reference my 020s have worn strangely. The front is evenly worn across the whole width and has only washed out on a couple of occasions on roundabouts etc. The rear is majorly squared off and now is as lively as a kiddy in sweet shop, it regularly steps out on me at roundabouts which it never used to. (Admitted my bulk usage is a commute that is 30 miles each way, 20 of which is motorway, the rest is filtering through traffic)
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-05, 07:05 PM   #85
streetos

Just had the Contis fitted to my curvy. (£135 ride in, ride out at Stewarts Motorcycles near Mansfield. Top deal, top job, top bloke ) Initial thoughts, after my old Azaros it feels like the bike has been fitted with a steering damper they are so stable. And whereas before the bike would try and follow any line in the road it now ignores them completely. Bit early to comment on the grip but they can't possibly be any worse in the wet that the Azaros. (I certainly hope not!)
Old 16-08-05, 05:42 PM   #86
sd1cko

Has anyone noticed there road attacks becoming slippy with the higher road temperatures? or is this just likely to be bad road surfaces "melting" on my usual routes?

Im about ready for another set, and until now was definately getting the same again, but im not so sure now!
Under braking is fine! Hard acceleration from standing gets the back spinning a bit, but thats to be expected now there nearly slick in the centre! :P But theres about 3-4mm left on the sides, and they seem to slide alot in mid bend when fairly hard over (but no further than seems ok in average temps )

is it just me perhaps getting too erratic n throwing the bike around instead of being smooth? (its easy for the nice weather to go to your head )
Old 16-08-05, 05:49 PM   #87
sd1cko

Ooh, almost forgot! anyone heard anymore about the sport attack's? ive been one conti's web site and cant find 'em in the size for the sv650
Old 16-08-05, 05:49 PM   #88
jonboy

I've had no problems at all with the RAs slipping, even with the pegs down. In fact my sides are more worn than the centres. Most likely oily tarmac you've encountered.

Old 16-08-05, 06:03 PM   #89
Stig

Well after 4000 miles the rear has been replaced. I didn't get anywhere near the mileage I was expecting from them.

The centre of the rear was to the limit where as the side profile had plenty of life left in them. Too many straight line roads I hear you say. Well not really. The front is also ready for replacement. Although I can still read the "road attack" writing on the front tyre the side profile of the tire has reached the depth markers already. Go figure because I can't.

I now have a Roadtec Z6 on the rear and am hoping for better wear results that the road attack. Considering that the Z6's don't have a tread pattern in the centre of the tyre, I am hopeful.

So what are my thoughts of the Road Attacks ? Well considering that they are sports touring tyres they hold grip brilliantly. Both in the dry and the wet. I had bags of confidence in the tyre right from leaving the garage after having them fitted in the pouring rain. They give tremendous feel as to what they are doing. When they want to break away under hard acceleration out of a corner, they let me know before doing so. I had them to the very edges without leaning off the bike and were perfect.

The front is absolutely planted and never once did I feel at unease on them.

The only thing that disappointed me was the mileage that I got out of them. Yes they are cheap tyres, and good with it. But it's false economy when they only last that long. For someone that can not afford to replace rubber at £135 a throw every four months not a good buy.

If I could afford it, I would be tempted to buy them all the time. Fantastic all round tyre in the dry and the wet. And the tread pattern is so cool.
Old 16-08-05, 06:28 PM   #90
sd1cko

Quote:
Well not really. The front is also ready for replacement. Although I can still read the "road attack" writing on the front tyre the side profile of the tire has reached the depth markers already
Thats exactly how mine have gone! but the front has only wore to the rear of the tread markers! so theyre staying for now!!

Is it possible for tyres to get a slippy covering? i.e not ridden hard for 50 - 150 mile or so, then when taken for a blast, the edges have seen the tarmac for the first time in a while and perhaps cause the bike to slide ?? Would fit the bill to what seems to be happening to me!? ill ride for ten mile or so not leaning too harsh to let the tyres warm up, but then start to increase lean angles. after sliding around in the bends for a few miles (looks good tho :P ) i seem to then gather a little more grip each corner until they are fine! but have experimented and did a 50 mile commute, then when nearly home i when to enjoy some corners and found the rear to be sliding! but, as above little by little the grip seemed to return over 5-10 mile or so