SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-09-06, 12:00 PM   #1
Captain Nemo

Default website building, how easy?

here goes.

i have a property in bulgaria, which i want to advertise on the net, i want a website but would like to do it myself, is this really hard or just quite hard?

does anyone know any good tutorial sites , or templates that you just fill in the blanks kind of think.

or am i being blindly optomistic of my chances of success?

oh and im more or less a computer numpty, well not that bad but it aint pretty...........
Old 21-09-06, 12:04 PM   #2
Baph

Easy peasy, couldn't be any easier!

Check out W3 Schools for learning the HTML etc, and OSWD (Open source web design) for free templates you can modify yourself.

If you want something professional, you'll be looking at HTML & CSS combination, probably with some Javascript thrown in for good measure

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific questions on how to do certain things
Old 21-09-06, 12:05 PM   #3
the white rabbit

Very easy. Some lovely templates about

http://www.oswd.org/

I like Nautica 03
Old 21-09-06, 12:17 PM   #4
Daimo

Can i ask about your property?

I've seen property sales for like £15k out there. Bulgaria and all those countries are joining/joined the EU and i keep hearing about how popular its starting to become...

£15k, keep it 10 years, sell it, should be worth loads by then... Have you got any info on it?
Old 21-09-06, 12:38 PM   #5
CheekyLemon

Yep pretty easy. I think most people on here have their own sites.

Just drop one of us a line with any q's. Mine was built using Dreamweaver, and contains PHP. (for the blogging system). Used Fireworks for the graphics.
Old 21-09-06, 01:34 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

There are some property websites that accept adverts from private peeps.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-06, 01:39 PM   #7
Captain Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
There are some property websites that accept adverts from private peeps.
yeah ive seen those, but most people i know have had very limited success with them,

i want to build my own site so that i can make it more personal , and not just a list of similar type rentals,

im hoping for it to be pretty simple, a welcome page, a few pages showing things to do such as restraunts, watersports, eating out etc, links to car hire and airlines and stuff,

i also want a calander in it that can be updated so that we can put the rates in and dates its booked, not available etc
Old 21-09-06, 02:32 PM   #8
Jabba

See if you can find a magazine cover disk with a free copy of NetOjects Fusion on it

Very simple to use WYSIWYG system using text boxes and drag and dro, and you can change the template/colour scheme with one click.

I use Dreamweaver for my own site, but a basic html code because my webspace doesn't support php.

You be surprised how easy it is to add a Forum like this (the software is free) for discussion/contact with customers if your webspace supports php and databases like MySQL.

However, for a first time user I recommend NetObjects Fusion. I might be able to let you have a copy of V4 which was given away on a cover disk if you PM me with your address
Old 21-09-06, 02:36 PM   #9
Baph

Pah at all those folks that use WYSIWYG editors. There's nowt wrong with good old vi! Or if you have to be in a windows environment, notepad! HTML is so rediculously easy that it's a shame so many people rely on drag & drop technologies. Anti-M$ rant over with...

Seriously, horses for courses, just try to use WYSIWYG for previewing before you publish and not actual design work
Old 21-09-06, 02:38 PM   #10
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
Pah at all those folks that use WYSIWYG editors. There's nowt wrong with good old vi! Or if you have to be in a windows environment, notepad! HTML is so rediculously easy that it's a shame so many people rely on drag & drop technologies. Anti-M$ rant over with...
Geek!!!