SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-01-09, 05:02 PM   #1
pencil shavings

Default Argh bike stress!

Yesterday I went for a ride for the first time in 4weeks, been in South Africa and Wales. Bike started fine first time, went to Asda, couple of other shops and then to a garden center about 2 miles from my house.

Got some bits and went back to the bike, wouldnt start, saying FI error. This has happened before but I just turned it off and back on and it was fine. It was cold and I had (pet) fish in my bag so I got a cab home and went back today.

After a chat with the boys in the TV section, (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=123394 )I went and tried the bike again, no luck, the pumps just werent priming. Called up CArol Nash for my free recovery thingy, only to be met with 'you dont have a recovery policy with us, let alone insurace!' WFT! I told the lady that I had used the recovery afew months ago when my chain came off and that I changed my address afew weeks ago and got confirmation of that too. Long and short of it was that they sent someone out, but said I might end up getting billed for it

So I wait for a grand total of 2 hours 45 mins for the man to get there

Walks up to the bike, and starts it first time. Great so I drove it home. He man said that it might be somthing to do with the throtle bodies? and that I should take it to Suzuki for a once over with the fault finding equipment. Any ideas on this?

At least she is home now
Old 06-01-09, 05:06 PM   #2
shifter

Default Re: Argh bike stress!

Get one with carbs?
Old 06-01-09, 05:09 PM   #3
thefallenangel

check the connector on the bottom of the tank. Mine done the exact same thing after i had it back from a service. Lifted the tank, went, ignored it came back a few days later and they said it was the switch under the tank. Try playing with that.
Old 06-01-09, 05:25 PM   #4
kwak zzr

look at your avatar, you've been messing too much lol
Old 06-01-09, 05:31 PM   #5
pencil shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifter View Post
Get one with carbs?
then you get a whole new world of issues
plus how do you straighten out such a curved frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallenangel View Post
check the connector on the bottom of the tank. Mine done the exact same thing after i had it back from a service. Lifted the tank, went, ignored it came back a few days later and they said it was the switch under the tank. Try playing with that.
Thanks for that, I will have alook tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
look at your avatar, you've been messing too much lol
lol, yeah. But that messing about was fixing it! not breaking it! lol
Old 06-01-09, 07:23 PM   #6
philbut

Sods law mate. What a pain. I hate intermittent electrical gremlins! Lets hope it is just a loose connector or similar. It can't be anything too serious if it does still run.
Old 06-01-09, 07:31 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

Could be some moisture getting in a electircal connection. Maybe go around and give things a squirt of electrical contact cleaner and a smearing of vaseline or something to kee moisture out of places like that?
Old 06-01-09, 07:38 PM   #8
pencil shavings

sounds like a plan. I have very limited electrical knowledge, which goes as far as changing a batery, regualtor and a couple of bulbs, so I dont really know where I should be cleaning/de-moistureising (oh i like that word!)
Old 06-01-09, 07:41 PM   #9
Alpinestarhero

well, i would probably disconnect every connector i can (one at a time!!!) and clean and put on vaseline. The throttle heated grip stopped working because of a dirty connection, since I WD40'd it and put on vaseline, i've had no problems

There's connections from the reg/rec that can be done (my dad did these for me) and the one under the tank, probably indicator ones and stuff like that.
Old 06-01-09, 07:43 PM   #10
pencil shavings

connectors like the box thingy in this pic? (love the technical terms!)