SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-11-12, 03:58 PM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Anyone got any expierience of those folding loading ramps?

So I am thinking of getting a folding ramp to put the bike in the back of the van. Previous experience of using a scaffold plank was not good, it slid whilst loading etc.

anyone used them, tbh they look a bit flimsy when I view on line.

Is it £40 invested or wasted?
Old 13-11-12, 04:06 PM   #2
cb1000rsteve

Default Re: Anyone got any expierience of those folding loading ramps

I have one and its mint! We load my cb1r into the back of an American pick up with no probs. I've also used it to put a vtx1800 cruiser into same pick up. This weighs an absolute ton and the folding ramp thing coped easily.
The bottom of the pick up bed is approx. 120cm off ground level so a van would be a lot less acute angle. Well worth the investment and they have grippy teeth so they don't slide sideways.
Old 13-11-12, 04:08 PM   #3
Lozzo

We use one in the race van, they work ok. I'd have someone to steady the bike as you step into the van though and trickle the bike up in 1st gear, makes it easier.

Trying to get a CBR600 into an LDV Convoy 400 can result in the bike falling on top of you, where you'll be stuck trying to hold a bike on its side from falling completely off the ramp and crushing you, until a dog-walker walks past and helps you lift it upright and into the van. Don't ask me how I know this, I just do, ok.

In hindsight, having two of them side by side would be much easier - one for the bike, one for you to walk up.

Last edited by Lozzo; 13-11-12 at 04:09 PM.
Old 13-11-12, 04:11 PM   #4
Sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
We use one in the race van, they work ok. I'd have someone to steady the bike as you step into the van though and trickle the bike up in 1st gear, makes it easier.

Trying to get a CBR600 into an LDV Convoy 400 can result in the bike falling on top of you, where you'll be stuck trying to hold a bike on its side from falling completely off the ramp and crushing you, until a dog-walker walks past and helps you lift it upright and into the van. Don't ask me how I know this, I just do, ok.

In hindsight, having two of them side by side would be much easier - one for the bike, one for you to walk up.
Got a set of two for the dads van, alot easier than trying to do it with one.

We use them for ride-on lawn mowers too.
Old 13-11-12, 04:12 PM   #5
cb1000rsteve

Lol!!
My mate seen someone ride there bike into there van so tried it with his r6 and wheelied into the van then fell sideways on top of him. We helped him after we had picked are selves up from laughing so hard
Old 13-11-12, 05:04 PM   #6
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
<snip>

I had thought this, plus tie them together just to make sure me and bike don't split up.
Old 13-11-12, 05:12 PM   #7
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
I've always wondered why the ramps are not wider. Not only for you but so you don't need to be so worried if the bike isn't straight particularly when unloading and that the wheel will come off the ramp taking the bike with it. I've loaded a few bikes with a single ramp setup, am yet to try with two ramps.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-12, 07:44 PM   #8
monkey

I've bought an old wheelchair ramp for my van which means I can do a bike without power on my own. Works ok.
Old 13-11-12, 09:20 PM   #9
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Anyone got any expierience of those folding loading ramps?

I've got one and used it a fair few times by myself getting bikes in and out of the van with ease.

Perhaps because I'm young(er) and supple I can cope without a second ramp - I drive the bike up, get the front a bit in, put on the front brake, climb inside and drive the bike up the final bit into the van. Easy.
Old 13-11-12, 10:22 PM   #10
chris8886
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone got any expierience of those folding loading ramps?

i have one and have used it many times without a single incident, they're alot stronger than you might think to, but they do have their problems as well that have been stated already, but as long as you have someone with you then you'll have no problems at all.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote