SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-10-14, 12:14 PM   #11
atassiedevil

Default Re: Your first time

Summer 83, a beat up old Honda C50 i picked up for £15. Ragged it around the fields near me til it eventually died. Of course i was hooked.
Old 02-10-14, 01:09 PM   #12
NTECUK
Mega Poster

We had a party at Southalls farm.
Dennis dad had a BSA A8,
Anyway we were daring each other and it went something like this
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
Old 02-10-14, 03:09 PM   #13
shiftin_gear98

First time on bike 2002, on a farm in Australia rounding up the cattle. Bloody good fun.

First memory of riding for real was riding my SV back from Reading. Having just scared the **** out of myself riding a YBR 125 down the M4. I wasn't really looking forward to riding back.

Oh how wrong could I have been. Never smiled so much in my life!!
Will never forget the moment I realised I was on a bike that could actually over take. No more did I have to be stuck behind a slow moving lorry.

Honestly it never crossed my mind find out just how fast she went 20 mins later....decided to slow down soon after that.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 02-10-14 at 03:11 PM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 06:53 PM   #14
Kenzie

First ride was a Beamish Suzuki 250 on a field near Deal. Hooked from the moment and did my test as soon as I could.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 08:28 AM   #15
missyburd

First time, balancing precariously on the fuel tank of YC's old Montesa Cota on a grass field the day after we got together many years ago, must have impressed me as I'm still with the oily fool

I can't actually remember the first times out on my SV, but I do remember the momentous trip to Scotland 3 weeks after getting it. On my own to Mallaig, amazing. Not only made me truly fall in love with the SV but Scotland, all over again and every year since. God bless two wheels.
Old 03-10-14, 11:11 AM   #16
L3nny
Mega Poster

1995. Had a go on my mate's DT50. Had no idea what I was doing, went up the road and back after nearly dropping it by letting the clutch out too quickly and pulling a bit of a wheelie. Scared the crap out of me.

First time I road my SV was from Manchester to Warwick when I picked it up, in December, in the rain. Still had a huge grin on my face.

Last edited by L3nny; 03-10-14 at 11:12 AM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 11:52 AM   #17
Viney
Mega Poster

I was 16, it was a' 85 plate MTX50 in red with a top box. That's about all i remember. I had never ridden a motor powered bike before then.

This was also back when you didnt have to do any form of CBT. Buy the bike, insure it and off you went.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 02:04 AM   #18
davpag1

Hi Riders
I came across this link and wanted to share my first ride with everyone at the age of 16, 40years ago now.
My 1974 Honda SS50 was bought by my father to get me back and forth to work and college (14miles away).
This little bomb would hit 70mph downhill and an average a speed of 50-60mph.
It was the bike my first wife insisted on trying out, we were dating, and crashed destroying the speedo and a few scratches. I no longer have the bike or the wife.
I've used images I got from internet to show you the style of bike. So I hope no one gets upset. The only difference being mine was red and blue.
Great memories of cold wet speedy rides, to college....brrr. I have my father to thank for those. Miss you pops.

Last edited by davpag1; 08-10-14 at 01:32 AM.
davpag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 02:44 AM   #19
hongman

How can I not forget my first legal ride lol.

Bought the SV. Rode home no problems, and decided to go for a ride with a much more experienced friend.

Struggling to keep up, hit a hair pin, locked back, high side, knocked out on kerb.

Old 07-10-14, 04:10 PM   #20
Heorot

My first ride on powered two wheels was in 1966 on a Lambretta 150D. What a pile of poo!. It put me off two-wheeled motoring until 2010 when my other half suggested that we learn to ride motorbikes. Passed my test in 2012 at age 64 and immediately bought my SV off Ebay without ever having a test ride. I have test ridden a number of bikes since then, including a street triple a couple of weeks ago but only a late model Bandit tempted me. I hated the whine on the street triple; couldn’t have lived with that noise.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote