SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-12-08, 10:42 AM   #1
stuballs

Default fibreglass bits on ebay - any good?

hey

has anyone any experience with these ebayers selling fibreglass parts from Germany. There are some really cheap huggers and undertrays but I'm dubious as to their ease of fitment. I don't mind making up brackets and having sprayed but if they're the wrong shape you're a bit stuck.

Here are some links:

undertray

hugger

cheers

stu
Old 27-12-08, 12:32 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: fibreglass bits on ebay - any good?

Cheap, flimsy, and a tendency to be bad quality in general.
Old 27-12-08, 02:59 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

I've got one of those huggers in the garage, I never fitted it though- just got it to see if I still don't like huggers (I still don't like huggers). It's... OK. For me, it would have been fine, because the finishing work it needs is straightforward if you know what you're doing, but it's a bit untidy and not everyone would be happy to tidy it up. It's certainly solid enough, pretty heavy and overbuilt in places actually. Not amazing really.

I'm pretty sure they've just taken a mold off another manufacturer's hugger rather than designing their own, so the fit should be fine
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-08, 11:58 AM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
I'm pretty sure they've just taken a mold off another manufacturer's hugger rather than designing their own, so the fit should be fine
The hugger is a copy of the official Suzuki accessory and the undertray is a copy of the original ROCA, which was discontinued due to weakness' and cracking causing a few returns/refunds. Whether this issue has been resolved I don't know, but many people have had issues with the German Ebay plastics (SV and non-SV).
Old 28-12-08, 02:36 PM   #5
stuballs

Thanks guys. Figured they'd be pretty flimsy and unlikely to fit properly. As they're very cheap I might pick up a couple of bits anyway to see what they're like then report back.

watch this space...
Old 29-12-08, 01:08 AM   #6
sv_rory

In the crash repair center we always get youngsters with these cheap bodykits. its all crap because it is a copy of the original part and they never fit right. i wouldnt waste your time with any parts like that.

pay the extra and get a plastic part.
Old 29-12-08, 02:17 AM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuballs View Post
Thanks guys. Figured they'd be pretty flimsy and unlikely to fit properly. As they're very cheap I might pick up a couple of bits anyway to see what they're like then report back.
If you want the hugger, drop me a PM, it's just taking up space in the shed...
Old 30-12-08, 11:23 PM   #8
GooseSVSK2

cheapo fibreglass bits weigh a lot more than vac-formed plastic ones. I'd steer clear unless you've got the tools/ inclination to make a tidy job of it!
Old 30-12-08, 11:25 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup, in fact even a lot of cheap carbon fibre is heavier than its plastic equivalents, never mind massive over-thick fibreglass.
Old 31-12-08, 01:57 AM   #10
MattCollins

No experience with SV specific plastics but... Cheap plastics are probably good for the budget racer where the bike might be put down a few times a year. Good for the guy who is willing to do a bit of the finishing work themselves. Not good for the guy who wants a production quality component ready to bolt on.

Cheers

Last edited by MattCollins; 31-12-08 at 02:12 AM.