SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-12-06, 07:01 PM   #1
Alpinestarhero

Default My first ride

Well! I got it finally out of the way - my first ride on my SV! Its been a long time coming since i brought the bike 3 months ago, but man, was it worth it!

So here;s how I found it, and I hope any newbies will find this reveiw helpfull; also worth me mentioning is that my machine is 33bhp restricted, and have a 99 curvy SV650s.

Engine:
Although 33bhp dosnt sound like alot when you read through the media, but for a new rider its more than usefull. In the first 3 gears, the bike feels like it has alot of poke. I certainyl found that above 4k rpm there was usable power. It runs out of puff with more revs and higher gearrs, no doubt, but there is more than enough for a new rider - i dont think anyone should be dissapointed with a restricted SV.

The engine braking is very strong - i didnt lock up the rear wheel today changin down but i know this could be an issue. Its very usfull though, because you can use the engine brake in a corner. Its very controlable that way and you can leave the brakes alone (less chance of an off)

Handling wise, it caught me out at first because i wasnt used to the weight (coming from a scooter) but its easy to get too at slow speeds. I found it needed more imput than im used to, but its a very forgiving bike. Its well composed over bumps, either upright or lent over in a corner. The bike always feels like it can go faster, but dosnt encourage you to if you dont want too. Its brilliant to ride.

The riding position is a little hunched over, but i dont have any complaints!

All in all, im so happy i brought this bike and not a 400 or something. Its perfect for newbies and experianced folk (my dad likes it too)

Theres my 2p!

Matt
Old 17-12-06, 07:12 PM   #2
kwak zzr

glad you are enjoying your bike matey!
Old 17-12-06, 07:22 PM   #3
Alpinestarhero

Indeed!

Out again tomorrow

Matt
Old 17-12-06, 07:25 PM   #4
MikeC

Good stuff - i'm currently looking at SV's, cant wait to finally get one and ride it!!
Old 17-12-06, 07:30 PM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Bump

*Bump*
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-06, 07:30 PM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Bump

*Bump*
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-06, 07:30 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

Is it your first bike? I take it from your other post that its not?

Matt
Old 17-12-06, 07:40 PM   #8
kwak zzr

ride safe matt the roads are greasy as hell.
Old 17-12-06, 07:50 PM   #9
Alpinestarhero

Yea i kno, i spent alot of time today looking for the dry line, being cautious of the wet tarmac. I wasnt pushing though, so it wasnt so bad. I'm taking it slow and steady, thinking carefull about my riding and trying to improve on the next run. Main thing at the moment is slow control.

The engine braking makes my nuts crush against the tank

But I'm learning how to avoid that...

Matt
Old 17-12-06, 08:28 PM   #10
zobo

Hey i got my first sv650 but naked model....got her on Weds...i've been ill since then so i haven't been out on her yet I've managed to fit some crash bungs on her(Poppy)so she's all ready for the first outing...but i am secretly crapping my pants and also excited at the same time...(if thats possible).. like you it's a big move for me from a 125...i just don't want end up loosing it and end up riding up someones drive over nana's prise rose bush...WAH

As they say gently does it

let us know how you get on