SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-06-09, 01:32 PM   #21
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: how loud is 105db?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Alpinestarhero View Post
But decibels (sp?) are not linear like a ruler, its logartithmic. For example if one bike has a sound level og 60db then 4 bikes would be a hell of a lot louder (i.e. 60db x 4).
thats not quite right. 4 bikes would not make 240dB.

1 bike, say 60dB
add a second bike which makes an identical noise - you've now got 2 bikes at 60dB each, so you've doubled the sound intensity - thats now 63dB, as 3dB represents "twice as loud". (I always thought it was 6dB but that could be something else - its been a few years since i was at college).
Add another 2 identically sounding bikes, you've doubled it again - so 66dB.

Now these bikes would not normally be making identical noises in sync with one another. Sound is a wave - 2 identical waves in phase would produce double the sound intensity, but entirely out-of-phase would produce silence. So in fact with 4 bikes all producing 60dB - you're probably not gonna get to much more than 61dB there.
Old 03-06-09, 01:44 PM   #22
Miss Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
thats not quite right. 4 bikes would not make 240dB.

1 bike, say 60dB
add a second bike which makes an identical noise - you've now got 2 bikes at 60dB each, so you've doubled the sound intensity - thats now 63dB, as 3dB represents "twice as loud". (I always thought it was 6dB but that could be something else - its been a few years since i was at college).
Add another 2 identically sounding bikes, you've doubled it again - so 66dB.

Now these bikes would not normally be making identical noises in sync with one another. Sound is a wave - 2 identical waves in phase would produce double the sound intensity, but entirely out-of-phase would produce silence. So in fact with 4 bikes all producing 60dB - you're probably not gonna get to much more than 61dB there.
Ah i see. Ta for the correction Now Ive re-read what I said, 4 bikes making treble the noise sounds really wrong If that was true, then I guess everyones ears would have popped at the AR given the amount of bikes there
Old 03-06-09, 01:47 PM   #23
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Alpinestarhero View Post
Ah i see. Ta for the correction Now Ive re-read what I said, 4 bikes making treble the noise sounds really wrong If that was true, then I guess everyones ears would have popped at the AR given the amount of bikes there
Their heads would have exploded. I think people's ears probably did pop, in fact.