SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-08-17, 06:27 PM   #21
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: What is this and how do I make one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy650 View Post
The curvy SV reg/rec is known to be rubbish. It is old tech and gets no cooling, a recipe for disaster.

I replaced mine with a MOSFET unit, far better without doubt.

The SV is a very hard bike to bump start, only attempt with someone else pushing, even then you will struggle.
There is nothing wrong with the Stock Curvy R/Rs.Mine is stock and in it's 19th year.I have a stock R/R on a Honda CX500 that is now in it's 38th year.

As for ,"Old Technology" Mosfets were invented in 1959
Old 13-08-17, 06:29 PM   #22
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
K3 does
Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
Curvy doesn't have a pump?
The Curvy has a Vacuum operated/assisted pump and is driven from the rear cylinder carb balance spigot or at least my 1999 does
Old 13-08-17, 06:49 PM   #23
Chris_SVS

Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 07:50 PM   #24
andy650

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
There is nothing wrong with the Stock Curvy R/Rs
Many curvy owners would disagree with that statement. You have been lucky.

The biggest problem is lack of cooling, there is nothing wrong with the old style RR's, apart from the heat they produce. MOSFET runs cooler, hence the lack of cooling on the SV is less of a problem.

Maybe MOSFETs were invented in 1959, but they have only become common on bikes in recent years to my knowledge, presumably as the costs fell?

I went through 3 standard RR's, then I gave up and went MOSFET.

I have non MOSFET RR's on all my other bikes, none have ever caused a problem, but they are all cooled far better than than SV RR.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 07:56 PM   #25
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:

The biggest problem is lack of cooling, there is nothing wrong with the old style RR's, apart from the heat they produce. MOSFET runs cooler, hence the lack of cooling on the SV is less of a problem.

Maybe MOSFETs were invented in 1959, but they have only become common on bikes in recent years to my knowledge, presumably as the costs fell?

I have non MOSFET RR's on all my other bikes, none have ever caused a problem, but they are all cooled far better than than SV RR.
I've not been lucky.I've been vigilant and as for,"Many" that may mean many have been misled and reading complaints/failures from the Internet is not a valid,"Real world" testament as there are countless hundreds of thousands on Motorcycles using stand R/Rs with no problems including Curvy SV650s.You rarely see a post saying,"My R/R is working perfectly

I don't disagree that the Mosfet design is superior and if some one has had problems it may well be a cure but it by no means a common problem IMHO just a commonly,"Highlighted" one.
Old 13-08-17, 08:10 PM   #26
andy650

How can you be vigilant with a RR? It either works properly or it doesn't, and you cant do anything to service it.

When my third one failed, I bypassed all wiring back to battery, and spent the extra £30 or so on the cooler running RR to be sure. It charges to 14.3 on the nail all the time, the old one (with old wiring) was never so perfect, even when new.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 08:38 PM   #27
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Calm down.
It all came about because of the Mazda MX-5 .
Not repeated faults on the curvy....
Old 15-08-17, 08:43 AM   #28
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Quote:

2 for me (including one that ruined a holiday with the ladz) then I bought an Electrex MOSFET one. Unlike the 1970s there's no guarantee the Suzuki one will give up, but it's by no means indestructible. My SV is also 1999 so has had plenty of years for stuff to wear out or pack up.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-17, 10:51 AM   #29
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
How can you be vigilant with a RR? It either works properly or it doesn't, and you cant do anything to service it.
You are correct in that as a solid state unit they are unserviceable however the connectors leading to them are.

Electronic devices are not,"Pass/Fail" devices.They can partially fail just like electromechanical and mechanical devices.

In the case of the Regulator/Rectifiers components inside can degrade overtime leading to on the Regulator side an increase in Voltage at the battery to a point where it ruins the battery.
On the Rectifier side any one of the Diamond formation diodes can partially fail and cause AC current through to the battery.This again will destroy a DC battery.
The most common cause of these failures is lack of maintenance of the Electrical connectors,especially the larger one that carries the three Yellow HT wires.
There is a lot of current passed through this connector and if the pins and sockets start to corrode the resistance at that point will increase.This will normally lead to other parts of the charging system trying to compensate and work harder to a point where they are taken out-of-spec.The increased resistance also has been known to melt the large connector and then the Stator HT wires short and the high current from the Stator feeds back on itself and burns out the coils.

There's plenty of pictures and posts on the net when this has happened and it's not nice and potentially lethal in the case of an Automotive fire.

Whatever unit you use please make sure that the Large connector pins and sockets are free of corrosion and electrically and physically secure.I use ACF50
http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

on ALL my electrical connections and for good measure if you ride a lot in the rain you can also double secure using Dielectric grease around the connector.

https://tinyurl.com/y9m3l4xk

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 15-08-17 at 10:57 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-17, 05:27 PM   #30
SV650rules
Mega Poster

RiffR4ff is spot on, if you don't look after the RR connectors and they get corroded you would be surprised how much heat can be produced by the high resistance - this is heat produced OUTSIDE the RR but conducted inside the RR through the connector, the heatsink on the RR has to try to get rid of it, something it was not designed to do - so the RR gets much hotter than it should and the heat causes thermal runaway in the diodes - meltdown.

Gold plated connectors are actually higher resistance than silver or nickel ones initially, but because the gold does not oxidize the connections maintain a stable resistance throughout their life, whereas other platings oxidize and increase in resistance, and it is a vicious circle, the hotter they get the more they oxidize, the more they oxidize the hotter they get...................................

If you can seal the connectors from oxygen and water (water is a source of oxygen) you should not have a problem. Petroleum free silicone grease (rubber friendly) is good, ACF-50 also OK.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 15-08-17 at 07:00 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote