SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-10-17, 12:15 PM   #1
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Stock rear shock lifespan?

I know some people are going to say zero years, just bin it... but does anyone know the expected lifespan of the stock SV rear shock? Mine is starting to feel noticeably wooden. Similar feeling to the knackered old twin shocks on the 250 I had a while back. Wondering if the shock can be starting to seize up already? It's a K8 with just over 12,000 miles on it. I've seen estimates of between 10,000 and 20,000 miles lifespan online but no one really seems to know more accurately.

I am hoping to replace it anyway at some point anyway but it's a bit down the priorities list. Wondering wether it needs bumping up the list, no pun intended : )
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 12:35 PM   #2
glang

Default Re: Stock rear shock lifespan?

Fraid its not easy to say as it must depend on a load of factors like riding style, load, road condition and maybe even a bit of luck with the build of the shock in the first place. Mines now done over 25k and I havent noticed any deterioration....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 12:55 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

10k is around the time they start to go off. people dont notice suspension components getting bad as its gradual so until they service/replace is when they notice how bad the old stuff was.

i know it sounds a bit much but for every 3-4 (14k) services you should be looking at servicing your suspension/linkages and brakes. would you let your bike's engine do 14k without an oil change? well suspension oil works just as hard and there is less of it in there and its also a lot thinner viscosity.

i have said this countless time but if your shock is needing replaced then its a sure bet that the linkages/swingarm bearings are needing replaced/serviced as well and without doing this then you are defeating the point of putting a new shock on.

dont have/want to spend the money then live with what you have till it breaks. service things as and when required and it saves you money in the long run.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 01:32 PM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cheers. I've got a feeling mines on it's way out then. If it's bad enought to actually notice rather than an un-noticed gradual decline. I know that feeling of being surprised to notice how bad things have got only once they're replaced / repaired for comparison! My old 125 was transformed by a good full service. It suddenly had brakes and forks that worked, when previously I'd just assumed it was a crap bike!

If I replace the shock then I'd be looking at doing the linkage etc at same time as that's the time it makes sense. Rear brake was done with new seals and piston a few months ago when I fitted a new Hel line. Front will be done when I've got the front Hel lines. All part of the long list. Trying to prioritise what needs doing in what order. It's a fairly tidy well cared for bike but something will always need doing and I try to do things before there are problems.
Old 18-10-17, 01:53 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

if the bike is your daily then its hard as you can only do things when off. servicing/replacing the rear linkage/swingarm bearings is a big job and requires some special tools and it will take a full weekend to do. the exhaust has to come off so that can cause problems with rusted clamp bolts.

it takes the best part of 3hrs just to get the swingarm off. depending on how lucky you are it will take another 1-2hrs to get the swingarm and linkage bearings out.
Old 18-10-17, 02:19 PM   #6
shiftin_gear98

Mines well ****ed then, 43,000 and rising.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 04:00 PM   #7
Stilo

If the standard shock has such a short life span can it be serviced or is it a case of binning it?
Old 18-10-17, 04:08 PM   #8
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Not serviceable at all as far as I'm aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilo View Post
If the standard shock has such a short life span can it be serviced or is it a case of binning it?
Old 18-10-17, 04:10 PM   #9
glang

No, sealed unit that can only be opened with a saw (not recommended).....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 04:21 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

non serviceable so bin it, only thing you could use is the spring but i dont know if they fit on aftermarket shocks.

for £290odd you can get a brand new YSS shock (sprung to your weight depending on where you buy it) which is serviceable. it will have adjustable and much better dampening than the OEM. i think they also have adjustable cleat.

if you keep your old shock then come time to sell then you just swap over the shocks and recoup some of the outlay of the YSS.

even with a nice aftermarket shock you still need to have them serviced at around 14-18k go beyond that and it costs more in servicing as internals are worn more, its all about oil lifespan just like an engine.