SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-01-06, 10:22 PM   #1
-pATz-

Default SV 650 K3 with Ducati 748/916 exhaust cans??!!

Ok, you might think "it can't be done"... let's see b tches...

Everything's soon to be set... parts are coming in and soon baby soon we'll start fitting the Ducati 748/916 exhaust cans on "you", my original silver SV 650 K3!

Have anybody tried this yet? Dunno, but I'm sure in h€ll gonna do it!

Costs?
-used Ducati 748/916 exhaust cans (rebuilt to so called "open air exhaust" used within racing... ) = USD 300,00.
-used Ducati 748/916 exhaust complete piping x 2 (needed for welding...) = USD 200,00.
-used tail fairing (to be painted/modified to fit the pipes/piping) = USD 80,00.

Oh dear"... costs more than I thought. Well, lets continue...

So far haven't done much more than dreaming. One problem will absolutely be to attach the cans under the seat and the tire... Would like to have a used subframe if modifying is needed...

Old 27-01-06, 11:18 PM   #2
Peter Henry

That sounds an interesting project fella.If you get it right it should look and sound great. I much prefer the previous series Ducati exhaust lay out than that on my 749, although I have seen 749/999 with Bos end cans fitted.

I look forward to seeing it finished.It would be great for the guys to see if you took pictures at the work evolves.
Old 27-01-06, 11:21 PM   #3
Gnan

why would you want anything other than termingnoni for a ducati?!
Old 27-01-06, 11:35 PM   #4
Peter Henry

Gnan...Good question. But unfortunately one that is so common with UK bikers. However look further afield and you find many not so enamoured with Termi's. Don't get me wrong I like them,but I have nothing that tells me I have to have them,(despite daughter of Termignoni replying to an emailI sent a little while ago!)

Did you know that the main Termi design engineer has left them? Along with a large number of the team? They are now oproducing a system of their own called ZARD looks good apart from when you look at the end can from behind it reminds you of the face of ET!

I have read many comments about:

Poor finish

Short period before deterioration

Bike runs crap with new chip etc etc.

I have settled on a different system which to me looks every bit as good as the Termi,(dont get a carbon end can cover...which suits me cos no big fan of the stuff)

I will be having only their 2nd one produced in titanium, delivered here to Spain at less than 2/3 of a stainless jobbie with Termi. I also get the benefit of a removable baffle.

I am reliably informed that the sound is very Termi-esque and if anything is even better!

The name you will be hearing a whole lot more of very soon...trust me.

BTW...SHARK is the name. Made in Italy and suggested by an Italian to me.
Old 28-01-06, 12:28 AM   #5
Vfr400

Default Re: SV 650 K3 with Ducati 748/916 exhaust cans??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pATz-
Ok, you might think "it can't be done"... let's see b tches...

Have anybody tried this yet? Dunno, but I'm sure in h€ll gonna do it!
Not sure if you mean with 748/916 cans or under eat cans in particular? I have a couple of pictures of Minitwin SV's with underseat exhaust systems quite neat they look too.

chris
Old 28-01-06, 12:33 AM   #6
Mike1234

Reusing exhaust cans from a Ducati may look good but the bore and length of the can will not be optimum for the SV and you may not be able to make it run evenly.
Old 28-01-06, 12:41 AM   #7
Vfr400

Mike 1234 can i ask what number you used last season ? and was it in MRO or Bemsee? it's just that i took a lot of photos at Snetterton and wondered who you are?

chris

PS NO i'm not trying to sell 'em
Old 28-01-06, 09:31 AM   #8
Peter Henry

Mike 1234......I understand what your saying here as the SV has that bunch of squiggled up pipework to make the exhaust gasses "think" that they are travelling the same distance and so balancing things out.

I think on the Ducati pipework the internal diameter of the pipes coming from each cylinder are different,(one larger than the other)to create a similar situation. (I could be wrong but I dont think I am.

Therefore if the Ducati pipework can be made to fit the SV it is a matter of tuning as per any system. With air and fuel requiring adjustment to obtain optimum conditions.
Old 28-01-06, 10:03 AM   #9
Mike1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
Mike 1234......I understand what your saying here as the SV has that bunch of squiggled up pipework to make the exhaust gasses "think" that they are travelling the same distance and so balancing things out.

I think on the Ducati pipework the internal diameter of the pipes coming from each cylinder are different,(one larger than the other)to create a similar situation. (I could be wrong but I dont think I am.

Therefore if the Ducati pipework can be made to fit the SV it is a matter of tuning as per any system. With air and fuel requiring adjustment to obtain optimum conditions.
The biggest difference will be the bore of the cans. If they are too big you won't get enough back pressure which is crucial on a twin. Shorter cans seem to work well but very big bore cans don't in my experience.
Old 28-01-06, 10:04 AM   #10
Mike1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfr400
Mike 1234 can i ask what number you used last season ? and was it in MRO or Bemsee? it's just that i took a lot of photos at Snetterton and wondered who you are?
My bikes were ridden by Matt Bond in MRO and Bemsee last year. He was number 63. I couldn't afford to support Matt and race myself so left it to him to win the MRO Championship instead.

I did lend my other bike (Cagiva Raptor) to another Mike Edwards (ex-British SS600 Champion) who raced it, and won, at Silverstone back in May.