SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-10-08, 07:20 PM   #1
Phaelok

Default 3 Issues

First issue is my flat battery - bloody meta 3 alarm drained my battery methinks, when i left it in london under the rain for two days in westminster.

Fortunately i work in halfords so i can nick their charger and charge me battery whilst i work. Problem is though, twice now the electricity has arked - once over to the tank and once to the metal tank plate.

Could someone give me an online place that is good for a cheap but very good battery?

Issue two is that every time i pull away, i get a sound from the engine. It almost sounds like tyre squeal. Im really worried as to what it is and dont want to fork out loads getting it repaired. When i pull away slowly, it doesnt make that sound, but when i pull away in a hurry, it does.

Third issue is that i need to service my bike (yes 1000 miles has come again, in one month) and need to know what needs to be done. I imagine the oil will need changing - anything else need doing?

Any help appreciated VERY much!
Thanks,
Phaelok
Old 27-10-08, 08:31 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: 3 Issues

What bike is it?

Click me!
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-08, 09:03 PM   #3
Phaelok

SV650s '99 X Model, in grand blue if the colour also helps :P
Old 27-10-08, 10:23 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

1. Metas aren't that current heavy, if it flattens your battery after two days either the alarm is faulty or the battery isn't fully charged, this could simply be an elderly battery or possibly a weakness in charging.
You want good or you want cheap? Rarely are the two to be found at once.
2. Sounds like the clutch release bearing/pushrod end/seat is duffed.
3. Which service? - how many miles on your bike?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-08, 10:24 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelok View Post
First issue is my flat battery - bloody meta 3 alarm drained my battery methinks, when i left it in london under the rain for two days in westminster.

Fortunately i work in halfords so i can nick their charger and charge me battery whilst i work. Problem is though, twice now the electricity has arked - once over to the tank and once to the metal tank plate.

Could someone give me an online place that is good for a cheap but very good battery?

Issue two is that every time i pull away, i get a sound from the engine. It almost sounds like tyre squeal. Im really worried as to what it is and dont want to fork out loads getting it repaired. When i pull away slowly, it doesnt make that sound, but when i pull away in a hurry, it does.

Third issue is that i need to service my bike (yes 1000 miles has come again, in one month) and need to know what needs to be done. I imagine the oil will need changing - anything else need doing?

Any help appreciated VERY much!
Thanks,
Phaelok
The sound on rapid pull away is the clutch. Mine does it too if I pull an overly energetic getaway. I've had my bike for ages and the clutch is otherwise fine ... I just tend not to pull away like that ... you can get a prety rapid getaway without needing to get to that state.

p.s. I have/have had more than one SV too and I know for sure 3 of them have all done it

In short, its the clutch, I have either had 3 fecked ones, or they all do it ... so just don't pull away like that and you will be fine!!
Old 27-10-08, 10:24 PM   #6
Phaelok

Oh dear - not an expensive job for number two is it sid?
Old 28-10-08, 02:01 AM   #7
ThEGr33k

1000 mile service!? Which is that? Oil/filter changes should be every 4-5K and major every 16K...

As for rest, what squid man said.
Old 28-10-08, 03:25 AM   #8
jimmy-james

Mine sqeals from cold and is a bit grabby until its at least a bit warm. I must admit it was worying me a tad so i will watch this thread with interest.
Old 28-10-08, 11:13 AM   #9
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelok View Post
Oh dear - not an expensive job for number two is it sid?
Ear plugs : sorted!
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-08, 09:22 PM   #10
Phaelok

Ahh ok oil wont need changing then - Me bloody battery is flat though - that WILL need changing.

Anyone know of a good place i can get a battery from? Was thinking hein gericke or fowlers of bristol. I need one ship shape on friday as im going to london on the saturday evening. Preferrably a place i can just walk into and buy a battery from straight off. I work in halfords - youd think i could get one or at least order one in? Not a bloody chance!

Gotta get a new front tyre and invest in some breakdown cover. Ive decided where im getting cover from, anyone know of some good long lasting rubber for a front SV tyre?