SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-02-07, 02:20 PM   #1
Jelster

Default DNS Issues

I'm have maging problems with the Internet today. I work in a "Regus" serviced office, they provide the IP connection. I can reach sites that I use regularly (therefore I will have a record of their location) but sites I have never visited, or visit very infrequently, are coming back with a "page not found" error.

At a guess, but not being a proper techie, I would say it was a DNS issue, so how can I stop it happening ??

Old 05-02-07, 02:33 PM   #2
Baph

The DNS server won't be returning an authorative answer.

Talk to your internet supplier about their DNS servers, and which you can add. Then post back here if you're still having problems. I have a LONG list of DNS servers
Old 05-02-07, 02:34 PM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Call the office manager.

Nothing you can do personally (short of running your own DNS server - and as you say - you are not a techie :P )

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 04:16 PM   #4
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss
Call the office manager.

Nothing you can do personally (short of running your own DNS server - and as you say - you are not a techie :P )

David
Have you ever worked in a Regus office ??? Asking a technical question like that is like asking somebody in PC World to explain what a broadband connection is

I notice that when I run IPconfig, I don't get a DNS server, just IP Address, default gateway and subnet info. I'm not sure that modifying my network properties and allocating a fixed DNS address will actually do anything, as it's all relative to the connection I'm sitting on.

Old 05-02-07, 04:28 PM   #5
wyntrblue

to get full information about your network settings for a card try

ipconfig /all

that will give you more info than a normal ipconfig
Old 05-02-07, 05:21 PM   #6
TEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
Have you ever worked in a Regus office ???
Nope but I have had dealings with them

Quote:
Asking a technical question like that is like asking somebody in PC World to explain what a broadband connection is
That is being very polite

Quote:
I'm not sure that modifying my network properties and allocating a fixed DNS address will actually do anything
Probably wont, I have known the ISP that they use have DNS problems but its their problem, not yours. If you are paying for the service then they should fix it. If your company is paying them for the web access then your company should be beating them with a stick (a big one) as what they charge aint cheap Was why we got our own ADSL put in their offices that we use
Old 05-02-07, 05:59 PM   #7
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
Have you ever worked in a Regus office ??? Asking a technical question like that is like asking somebody in PC World to explain what a broadband connection is
No, but I did used to be the guy who got to fix it when Regus called it in...... (if it was serious enough)

4 years 3rd Line support for C&W in the Internet Team (not what it was called internally but close enough)

SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote