SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-03-17, 02:21 PM   #31
Taipan

Default Re: My first pointy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
That's a shame.My Carbtune 2 4 cylinder version is about 10+ years old and still in good working condition.

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/index.html

What about some metal polish if it's the rods but also make sure there's no little bit of grit got into the restrictors as they are very fine bore.Maybe poke through with a small needle and run the rubber tubes through from a Hot-tap?

I've spoken with John Morgan a couple of times and he's a really helpful guy who backs up his products.It's one of the best purchases I've made.
Never thought about cleaning the restrictors. Thanks. I'll give that a go.
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-17, 08:44 PM   #32
Taipan

Got home to find the riser plates had arrived. Nice bit of kit and well finished. Look forward to fitting them and will report back on if they went on as is, or needed a bit/lot grinding?
Old 19-03-17, 12:00 PM   #33
Taipan

Took another look at the bike today. I put a new air box temp sensor in no then went to fit new plug caps but I'd bought the wrong ones! Decided to try and balance up the TBs with my carbtune with its cleaned out lines and freshly polished rods. Seemed to get them pretty close but couldn't get them bang on? The bike does have a low revs misfire though? I'll get a set of plug caps and see if that cures it, but will all the plumbing being messed about with and unplugged and a new sensor fitted I think a good run is in order to get everything settled down.

The misfire is noticeable when holding it about 2k revs you can here a cyclinder kicking in and out, by it does seem to pull strongly as the revs build? Anyone had anything similar?

Last edited by Taipan; 20-03-17 at 09:17 AM.
Old 19-03-17, 12:17 PM   #34
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

The OEM plug caps price is a rip-off.I've bench-tested these NGK SD05FM Reds(They do Black as well)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spark-Plug...wAAOSw7NNT6WRf

They seem ok but have not road tested them.

However the originals can be deconstructed using the correct size Flat Blade screw driver.The Brass insert is soft so I re-dressed it after checking and cleaning using a junior hacksaw and a flat file just to make the blade groove better.
The Resistance was just below 10 Kohms.The NGKs only have a 5kohm ceramic resistor but I don't think that will affect their performance.I couldn't find a Data sheet on the OEMs to check what their original resistance should be.
I'm using,"R" rated Spark plugs which means they already have a resistor in them.

If you can check yours for me and they come out around 9K ohms I'll know that's the original spec.

Spray some WD40 or similar inside the plug cap before deconstruction to help loosen.This can be cleaned off later with Carb/Brake cleaner.

Be careful if you choose to deconstruct as there's a tiny little brass dot on top of the spring inside.Easy to miss/lose.Cap would most likely be ok without it but if possible best kept.

I made a new little dust seal from some old motorcycle inner tube I have so nothing could get down the plug hole.If I used an NGK straight one on the front I'd do the same but make a second larger circle to go over the hole as the front one is more open to the elements.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 19-03-17 at 04:30 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 11:52 AM   #35
Taipan

Thanks for the eBay link. I'll probably order a couple up at some point. The front plug was rusty so clearly water has been getting in there and the cap itself is quite dirty, so i'll just replace them for the hell of it anyway. When I do get round to it, i'll strip the other one down and stick a meter on it and ket you know what I find.

I went onto Fowlers website to see how much Suzuki ones are. How much!!!!
Old 20-03-17, 01:58 PM   #36
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
I went onto Fowlers website to see how much Suzuki ones are. How much!!!!
Yep!!!Around 60 squids for a set of spark plug caps.I don't think so...

Anyhoo.On a whim I thought about it and my CX500s have unusually long plug caps so tried one on the SV and Viola<grin>,

Ok they are a 90% version but they still clear the tank the best I can see when I test lowered the tank.The seal cap needs a little trimming I think to make sure the cap will stay seated so there's no upward pressure on the cap.

However the one in the picture is a none resistor type which I went to when I started using,"R" type Spark plugs.
I'm looking to see if I can find a resistor version but the Straight NGKs should be fine with some homemade seals/covers and I' sure a lot of,"Track" SV650 riders will have used them.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 20-03-17 at 02:00 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 12:13 PM   #37
Taipan

Just found the sequence should be TB balance, then TPS set. As I couldn't balance my TBs, I did the TPS but then cleaned up the Carbtune as suggested and was able to almost balance the TBs. So I guess now the TPS is out! D'oh! Plug caps should be her today r tomorrow, but i'll get to it at the weekend, hopefully...
Old 22-03-17, 12:16 PM   #38
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Just found the sequence should be TB balance, then TPS set. As I couldn't balance my TBs, I did the TPS but then cleaned up the Carbtune as suggested and was able to almost balance the TBs. So I guess now the TPS is out! D'oh! Plug caps should be her today r tomorrow, but i'll get to it at the weekend, hopefully...
Keep going.You are almost there.I've had to do much worse/more on crusty 35+ year old,"Plastic Maggots"<grin>
Old 22-03-17, 12:42 PM   #39
Taipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Keep going.You are almost there.I've had to do much worse/more on crusty 35+ year old,"Plastic Maggots"<grin>
Oh I'm enjoying it! I bought the biek to have a play about and straighten it up a bit.

Plastic maggots huh, I used to dispatch ride on a CX in the early 80s! Legendary bikes for all day riding and reliability back then. Seen a few as Cafe Racers lately. Nice to see the revival!
Old 22-03-17, 01:44 PM   #40
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Oh I'm enjoying it! I bought the biek to have a play about and straighten it up a bit.

Plastic maggots huh, I used to dispatch ride on a CX in the early 80s! Legendary bikes for all day riding and reliability back then. Seen a few as Cafe Racers lately. Nice to see the revival!
There was a guy on the US CX forum who bought his around 1980 with 6,000 miles on it.He came on the forum a few years ago asking if it was time to rebuild the original engine as it had 280,000 miles on it!!!!

He'd been through several stators/Alternators and cam-chains of course and a few other consumables.

Trick was he used Rotella T diesel engine oil changed every 3,000 miles and a new filter.