SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-05-08, 10:08 AM   #1
cb5_keith

Default Heading off to Europe

Ok so on the 16th of July my ferry departs to Roscoff, France. Going on my own as I have a few friends abroad I want to meet up with and want to take my sweet time over everything and do whatever I feel like. May be away for 2 to 3 weeks...hopefully more, depends on when my budget runs thin...

I want to take abosulte minimum. At this moment in time I have my thoughts set on either;
a) a rucksack and tankbag
b) soft panniers and a rucksack
c) soft panniers and a tankbag
c) all 3 (which i dont think i'll need, last resort if i end up with everthing bar the sink)

Never done this before, so any thoughts on luggage size? I dont mind living dirty for a while as i'll be stopping at a few houses and places on the trip. Biggest thing will be the little 1 man tent I can imagine...

Oh and, I think I will be riding in my leathers. But scared I may get heat stroke? Jacket is fairly breezy as it has removeable vents down the side, pants are less so but do have vents on the inner thighs

ALSO...finally...I have european health insurance card (E111 replacement) and all documents will be brought. Insurance company will be informed when i'm off etc. Anything else in this area i should sort out?

Any help much appreciated!
Thanks, Keith
Old 10-05-08, 11:59 AM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Heading off to Europe

Break down cover is an idea, might be covered by your insurance.

I find leathers are fine once moving in the heat, wear some sort of wicking clothing underneath and drink enough and you should be fine (although you'll get hot in towns).

Luggage wise I did two weeks with a tank bag and tail pack last year(but no tent), have a look on ebay and you can pick pretty spacious tail packs up for about 20 quid used. Personally I don't like a rucsac when riding. Just do a dummy load up of the bike before you set off.

Have fun and look forward to the pics.
Old 10-05-08, 12:44 PM   #3
cb5_keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Break down cover is an idea, might be covered by your insurance.

I find leathers are fine once moving in the heat, wear some sort of wicking clothing underneath and drink enough and you should be fine (although you'll get hot in towns).

Luggage wise I did two weeks with a tank bag and tail pack last year(but no tent), have a look on ebay and you can pick pretty spacious tail packs up for about 20 quid used. Personally I don't like a rucsac when riding. Just do a dummy load up of the bike before you set off.

Have fun and look forward to the pics.
Cheers for the help. Yeah I don't think my insurance company cover breakdowns abroad, but i'll have to check, if not thats a must i guess...wouldnt wanna get stuck somewhere.
I'm not a fan of large rucksacks really. I use a 25lt camelback. Find myself constantly travelling with it... its a rare pleasure to ride without one. I'm stuck between a tailpack and some soft panniers however...

Would wicking base layers just make me more hot or really help?
Old 10-05-08, 01:10 PM   #4
Kinvig

got a bad inter-web connection so this is my second attempt, in which I'll have missed off loads!

Right, it's europe, not asia, so you can travel light - an hypermarket will have EVERYTHING!

So take the barest necessities:

allen keys to tighten/take off panels
duct tape & cable ties
small chain lube
a couple of M6 & M8 nuts & bolts.
kit to repair a flat & tension chain
first aid kit
spare change of clothes

You can buy shirts, pants etc at hypermarkets also nuts, bolts etc

Europe is more biker friendly so there are many small bike shops everywhere with kit.

check your tank range fully loaded before you go

Don't take a rucksack.

Inform your credit/debit card cos that you'r going abroad! Save their tel nos.
I had problems the further east I headed. From the Ukraine onwards petrol stations wouldn't accept my cards (they don't do chip & pin). From Russia the banks even stopped recognising my cards for the same reason!

Make sure you're happy with the bike's handling fully loaded if you've any doubts revise your plans (less kit or diff bike).

Take a muggers wallet with day cash & expired credit cards.

Take a photocopy of your licence, V5, insurance & passport (incl the originals stored separately, poss notorised copy of passport).

Have realistic expectations of your max miles covered in a day. Probably not more than 250 to 300!!!

Expect things to go wrong. It's all fun adapting to the changes.

It's your holiday. Chill & relax, at the end of the day it's all fun!

A couple of weeks in Europe in July....I'm kinda tempted by a short jolly like this......!

Take a copy of your travel ins details...

Take a phrase book

A leather man will be useful.

Consider eating out to save on pots/pans/cooker/cleaning.

My tent cost ?40. Small, light & ditchable.

Do a mini service before you go: Sparks, air filter, oil filter & change. Check, clean, lube chain as nec. Or replace etc.

Small bottle of chain lube.

Enjoy!!!!!!
Old 10-05-08, 01:34 PM   #5
cb5_keith

Couldnt have asked for more! Cheers Dirk, I may print that off and tick off what i've got/need/packed...
Got my little one man tent for about 40 or 50 quid, weighs nothing and fits nicely into a small package...
I am tempted at buying boxers and tshirt from supermarkets as and when i need them, much easier really. I was tempted at taking a little hob and army pan, wouldnt take up much space and i've got a fairly tight budget.

Just read about your leg, hope it gets better quickly, and don't pack it in!

PS you forgot suncream!

Last edited by cb5_keith; 10-05-08 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 01:48 PM   #6
Kinvig

hmmm, head torch
lighters
maps
gps
check tyre tread (if you're off roading then swap the front before you go & takethe rear & swap it over when you get to the off-road....keep the road tyre)
spare levers are nice
check brake wear & fluid....top up/replace as nec.

Don't bother altering your headlight beam - I never did & no-one noticed.
Old 10-05-08, 02:29 PM   #7
dyzio
Mega Poster

A very good thread as I'm going on a eurotour myself (I'll try do warp through Germany and do some touring once home in PL), My advice would be:
- try to avoid taking a rucksack, I'm opting for a tankbag, tailpack and a sports rack.
- find out what you MUST have with you (you may be fined in some countries for not having stuff like a first aid kit, spare light bulbs with you - apart from the obvious v5, insurance certificate, GB sticker).
Other than that, you've got pretty good advice here.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-08, 02:48 PM   #8
Kinvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyziowg View Post
GB sticker
I went for a 7*5 show plate with the euro/gb strip on it. No-one outside of the UK will realise or care that it's too small.

No-one questioned me on it at any borders - the worst trouble I had was the kazak border guards attempting to rip off my other stickers, jumping up & down on the bike & asking for bribes (tho the ruskies were worst for bribes!)...
Old 10-05-08, 03:12 PM   #9
Griffo

Why the hell were they jumping on it? Did you shout at them and then get shot at?
Old 10-05-08, 03:28 PM   #10
wow

I've got a handy tick list, you don't need everything.

Current Passport (for each person).
? Full Driving Licence (Provisional Licences are not allowed). Some countries will not accept National Driving Licences and you then need an International Driving Permit (IDP) which can be obtained from the AA or RAC.
? A current Certificate of Motor Insurance to cover the whole period away. In some countries you may be asked for an International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card), but this is usually now covered by the Certificate of Motor Insurance issued by your Insurers (see reverse of your certificate. If not it is obtainable from your Insurers).
? If you are going to Spain, to avoid the possibility of being taken into custody after an accident, it is advisable to have a Bail Bond. This is now often part of your Certificate of Motor Insurance. If not it is obtainable from your Insurers.
? Vehicle Registration Document. The reason for taking your Vehicle Registration Document is to enable police overseas to verify that the vehicle belongs to you. In many countries it is a legal requirement to carry this at all times when riding / driving.
? Accident Document. This is obtainable from your Insurers and should be completed if you have an accident.
? For most European countries it is not necessary to obtain a Visa. However if travelling further afield check to see if one is necessary. The Tourist Board of the country concerned will be able to advise.
? A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to reduced-cost, sometimes free, medical treatment that becomes necessary while you?re in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland. This form is available from the Post Office.
? GB Sticker of the correct size. This must be fixed to the rear of the motorcycle and can be obtained from the Ferry Company or the AA/RAC.
NOTE: If you have a modern number plate with an EU marking ?GB? then this is accepted anywhere in the EU (and Norway and Switzerland) instead of a separate GB sticker.

Other Necessary Items
You should have with you the following. (Police may check to see if you are carrying them):-
? Medical Kit. These can be obtained as a small pack from most Chemists.
? Replacement Light Bulb Kit. These can be obtained from your Motorcycle Dealer or for many cars from the AA at the port.
? Accident Triangle. This is compulsory if travelling by car but appears to be optional if on a motorcycle

Copy all docs, 2 copies, 1 at home & the other with you, take all original docs in water proof bag
ITEM TICK
Passport
Tickets
Insurance Details (call ins company to advise travel)
E1 11 Medical Form / CARD
Earplugs
Currency
All Vehicle Documents (Legal Requirement) Log Book, MOT
Mobile and Charger (roaming turned on)
Mains Adaptor
Fuses
Maps
GB / EU Sticker ??
Torch
Cable Ties
European Breakdown Cover
Holiday/Travel Insurance
Sunglasses
Spare Bulbs
Litre of Oil ?? Brake fluid ???
Tyreweld
Syphon
Duck Tape / Electrical tape
Spare Gloves ? / liners (if gloves not waterproof take decorators gloves)
Small tool kit / bike tool kit / multi tool and latex gloves
Water proofs(if boots not waterproof then take pedal bin liners)
Spare key
Chain Lube
WD40
Spare cord for side stand on ferry
Foam pad for Ferry (some operators)
Bags, pedal and black bin liners, good for keeping clothes dry
Hotel / Accommodation Details
Small Medical Kit
Tyre pressure gauge
Bike handbook / Instructions
Lock
Metal glue and sand paper