SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-11-08, 11:19 AM   #1
chris8886
Mega Poster

Default No life!

last week or so the sv has been playing up a little. thought it was just the battery being a bit flat because i hadn't used it for a few days through one thing or another. managed to bump start it no problems and off i went. had a good ride, which should've charged the battery nicely. have used it more regularly since and it has still been struggling to turnover, but been getting there in the end. done 200 miles this weekend to brum and back, left it outside in the ghastly weather last nite (normally garaged), went to leave brum and started pretty much ok.

however we now hit the problem. i go to use it to come to work this morning (because it's raining and i'm feeling lazy) and i have nothing, just a clicks, ticks and groans! the lights work and all, i try turning them off and still nothing. i try bump starting it and even that won't work now. one thing i did notice though when trying to bump start it that when i dumped it into gear the speedo went upwards (way past the speed i was pushing the bike at), but the engine still did nothing.

any ideas anyone? in as plain mechanical english as is possible as i really am rubbish with mechanics and electronic things.

thank y'all
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 12:08 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: No life!

check the charging system with a multimeter

battery should be around 12.50 at very least when doing nothing, turn ignition on, it should go down a bit, when bike is ticking over it should go up to 13.50/14.50 ish
Old 10-11-08, 01:06 PM   #3
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
check the charging system with a multimeter

battery should be around 12.50 at very least when doing nothing, turn ignition on, it should go down a bit, when bike is ticking over it should go up to 13.50/14.50 ish
how? where? and wtf? (oh and i don't have a multimeter, though it looks like i need to get one). i said i'm a mechanical numpty
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
Old 10-11-08, 03:33 PM   #4
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
how? where? and wtf? (oh and i don't have a multimeter, though it looks like i need to get one). i said i'm a mechanical numpty
me a mechanical numpty too

but, i borrowed a mutimeter and my mate showed me how to use it, its real easy

is there no-one that can help you?

the multimeter has 2 leads red and black, just put the red on the positive terminal and black on negitve, you need to switch the MM to 20v

Last edited by hovis; 10-11-08 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-11-08, 03:52 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

2nd post in this thread by Sid Squid should see you right

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...light=charging

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 07:43 PM   #6
sv_rider1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
last week or so the sv has been playing up a little. thought it was just the battery being a bit flat because i hadn't used it for a few days through one thing or another. managed to bump start it no problems and off i went. had a good ride, which should've charged the battery nicely. have used it more regularly since and it has still been struggling to turnover, but been getting there in the end. done 200 miles this weekend to brum and back, left it outside in the ghastly weather last nite (normally garaged), went to leave brum and started pretty much ok.

however we now hit the problem. i go to use it to come to work this morning (because it's raining and i'm feeling lazy) and i have nothing, just a clicks, ticks and groans! the lights work and all, i try turning them off and still nothing. i try bump starting it and even that won't work now. one thing i did notice though when trying to bump start it that when i dumped it into gear the speedo went upwards (way past the speed i was pushing the bike at), but the engine still did nothing.

any ideas anyone? in as plain mechanical english as is possible as i really am rubbish with mechanics and electronic things.

thank y'all

Maybe your alarm i had a meta and it caused me no end of problems, battery, reg/rec, running on 1 cylinder so i ended up taking the sodding thing out to much hassle for what there worth
Old 11-11-08, 09:26 PM   #7
chris8886
Mega Poster

right... left the sv on an optimate last night and during today (it didn't say there was anything wrong with the battery, just needed charging). also bought myself a multimeter today and have just used it to check the battery terminals. the readings with the engine off were normal 13v approx and then did readings with the engine on and the lights on and off (at the 5k revs suggested), which were normal too.

so, i haven't had the chance to take it out this evening, but will take it for a good ride tomorrow and hope the charge will still be there in the morning!