SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-08-05, 08:46 AM   #1
Chris V

Default Renthal Bars for SV 650

Anyone fitted Renthal bars on their naked SV and can describe the change in riding position compared to the standard bars.
There seems 4 option - Flat, Low, Ultra Low and Streetfighter

http://www.banditmania.co.uk/Handlebar%20Lever.htm

Also anyone knows who stocks these bars in Essex or Herts so as I can go and touch them.
Old 31-08-05, 09:13 AM   #2
Grinch

Mates got them on his SV..
Look at this page for pics...
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thegrinch/bikes.htm
Old 31-08-05, 09:24 AM   #3
jonboy

I've got Lows on and BigApe and Sid Squid have got Ultra Lows. I much prefer mine to theirs and vice versa . So it's really a question of sitting on a bike with them on and seeing what's best for you, and the best way to do this is find a busy bike meet and seek out a bike or two with Renthals and start chatting to the owners explaining the situation and I'm sure they'll say hop on.

But in a nutshell, if you like being really upright then the Lows are perfect but too high for most riders it seems. You'll also have to be very watchful of the cable lengths as they only just (on my K1) stretch far enough.

Old 31-08-05, 09:38 AM   #4
Chris V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
Mates got them on his SV..
Look at this page for pics...
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thegrinch/bikes.htm
Those look like the streetfighter bars to me. They are taller than standard but I need them a bit more back towards me.
Old 31-08-05, 09:44 AM   #5
Chris V

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
I've got Lows on and BigApe and Sid Squid have got Ultra Lows. I much prefer mine to theirs and vice versa . So it's really a question of sitting on a bike with them on and seeing what's best for you, and the best way to do this is find a busy bike meet and seek out a bike or two with Renthals and start chatting to the owners explaining the situation and I'm sure they'll say hop on.

But in a nutshell, if you like being really upright then the Lows are perfect but too high for most riders it seems. You'll also have to be very watchful of the cable lengths as they only just (on my K1) stretch far enough.

Hi Jonboy
Most useful reply. From your description it looks like the lows will be just right. After years of riding Harleys I have got used to the more upright 'cruiser' position.
Any dealers with em in around Herts/Essex? or do you have a picture of yours?
I have K4 and would appreciate comments from anyone on whether the lows fit with standard cables - in particular the brake seems tight.
Old 31-08-05, 09:49 AM   #6
biketeacherdave

Default i always fit them

I always fit them to my suzukis, i run bandits but have bought the wife a new sv and am fitting renthals to it, they come in 3 sizes i go for the medium which seems to suit.

The difference to the handling and riding is amazing, you will also need the renthal bar ends as the suzuki ones wont fit
Old 31-08-05, 09:54 AM   #7
chazzyb

I've got Renthal 'lows' on mine too (jonboy's recommendation). It still won't be a sit-up and beg riding position by any stretch of the imagination, but you won't get any higher without starting to put custom hoses and cables onto it.

I haven't bothered with bar-end weights and don't feel the need so far. Mind you, I have an inch of the bars sticking out each side beyond the grips so it looks like I've got them at first glance.
Old 31-08-05, 11:00 AM   #8
biketeacherdave

Default yes its a problem

yes the renthals do stick out a bit, my mechanic who fits them cuts an inch off each end and if you fit the medium bars they are a lot more sit up than standard and the brake lines and cables still reach
Old 31-08-05, 03:24 PM   #9
chutz

I have ultra lows on my K3 and love them. You can rotate them in the clamps a little to suit you but for me they feel ace.
Old 31-08-05, 03:45 PM   #10
sv4me
Mega Poster

What gives the most aggressive,hunched over the bars look?

I saw a hornet the other day with them on and never got a chance to speak to the owner. Looked good though,ive finally caved in and decided to buy some for mine too
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote