SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-03-07, 10:41 AM   #1
Dave The Rave

Default Close shave

It happened on my way to work on M60/M62 yesterday morning. Comfortable in the right hand lane on M60 shortly after 7 am. It was a bit wet so I kept my distance from the traffic ahead. The car directly in front of me changed lanes and I was now following a Ford Transit (the stupid one with very low sides and a something what looks like a mesh fence at the back.). It looked fairly empty, only some tools and rubbish in the back. I was following him at 80 miles/hr with 30-35 metres gap. As he started to change lanes a massive plastic bucket flew overboard. At first it happened in a slow motion. I saw the massive red thing taking off the back of the Transit, floating 2 metres above the road for what seemed like eternity before it crash landed right between the middle and right hand lane. I am not sure what happened next apart from me soiling my pants, of course, as it suddenly all started to happen much faster. The bucket crashed, thousand and one things spread all over the road, the bucket was in the air floating towards me and then changing its course to the middle lane again. A split second later I was in the clear. I don’t know if I used my brakes and I am sure I didn’t change direction as I wasn’t sure where to go. There was debris everywhere. So lesson learnt don’t follow directly behind those open Transits unless you have to. In which case leave a gap 2x as big as you would normally do.
Old 06-03-07, 11:23 AM   #2
John 675

Post Re: Close shave

that was definatly a close call, 80 Mph officer?? lol, im not really one to say anything though lol, but i bet lesson is learnt..
Old 06-03-07, 11:46 AM   #3
Baph

Default Re: Close shave

Bloody lucky mate!

Have you thought about reporting it to plod just so the road can be made safe for others too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylej View Post
that was definatly a close call, 80 Mph officer?? lol, im not really one to say anything though lol, but i bet lesson is learnt..
Speedo's are renound for being inaccurate. You can't really be done for speeding unless you're limit + 10% + 2mph or more. In the case of a motorway, that's 77mph. If 80mph is indicated, you only need a 5% inaccuracy to be really moving at 74mph.

He was also in the right lane, so i assume he was only there because he was overtaking. Most officers allow a slight "offence" to perform a safe overtake. That accounts for the 4mph then

I'm sure that's what Dave was really trying to get at
Old 06-03-07, 01:07 PM   #4
Dave The Rave

Typo it was 70 ....
Old 06-03-07, 01:10 PM   #5
DanAbnormal

Blimey mate, glad you didn't come a croper there! One thing I have learnt is to change lane if any kind if open-load carrying vehicle pulls in front of me. I just don't chance it anymore after one too many near misses with bits flying out of the back.
Old 06-03-07, 01:31 PM   #6
Dave The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_dan View Post
Blimey mate, glad you didn't come a croper there! One thing I have learnt is to change lane if any kind if open-load carrying vehicle pulls in front of me. I just don't chance it anymore after one too many near misses with bits flying out of the back.
True mate. That's what is my little self going to do from now on. We live and learn don't we!

BTW good choice bike and colour
Old 06-03-07, 01:35 PM   #7
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave The Rave View Post
BTW good choice bike and colour
Yep! Now we've just got the get the rest of these Heretic's see the light.
Old 06-03-07, 01:37 PM   #8
Dave The Rave

I couldn't afford to ride on the SV hoover as I use it in the winter too and didn't want it to get rusty. Have you got a belly pan on yours?