SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-02-07, 09:41 AM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default In for a penny …

In for a pound??

Ok I have splashed out on the Ohlins shock recently, with a view to entering a minitwins round or two ... do I go the full hog and get the motor done too?

Got a quote from Mrs Jordan and it’ll be about £400 including the supply of the later cams, race filter, installation and setting the whole thing up on the dyno so it runs sweet …

I think that is a reasonable fee, but bearing in mind I would have then spent more on a shock and getting some later cams than I spent on the bike itself (and I still have more to spend*) … am I getting carried away?

To be honest at the moment, I am leaning towards getting it done (Do you still have the k5 cams available SV650Racer?)

*I still need to get a fairing, crashbungs and fork internals sorted and the other odd and sod too ..
Old 02-02-07, 09:54 AM   #2
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: In for a penny …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
In for a pound??

Ok I have splashed out on the Ohlins shock recently, with a view to entering a minitwins round or two ... do I go the full hog and get the motor done too?

Got a quote from Mrs Jordan and it’ll be about £400 including the supply of the later cams, race filter, installation and setting the whole thing up on the dyno so it runs sweet …

I think that is a reasonable fee, but bearing in mind I would have then spent more on a shock and getting some later cams than I spent on the bike itself (and I still have more to spend*) … am I getting carried away?

To be honest at the moment, I am leaning towards getting it done (Do you still have the k5 cams available SV650Racer?)

*I still need to get a fairing, crashbungs and fork internals sorted and the other odd and sod too ..
You have to bear in mind that you bought the bike for a song - what was it £700-800? So comparing how much you have spent on it to the bike itself, means that it's not an expensive race bike really.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 10:04 AM   #3
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar
You have to bear in mind that you bought the bike for a song - what was it £700-800? So comparing how much you have spent on it to the bike itself, means that it's not an expensive race bike really.
So the next question is do I get the work done on my current #1 bike (the yella one you have seen) or what I have bought consequently as a spare bike?? I am thinking leave #1 alone as it is working well as it is and build #2 to become #1 ... problem is that I haven't 'proven' the #2 bike for anything more than one session at S-Stone ... I already noticed it was even more keen to jump out of second* but apart from that everything seemed to work, but there is such a difference in 'development' between the two bikes a direct comparison was impossible (#2 was totally standard) to know which is the 'better' base bike ...

*SV650Racer, do you have a later model Detent star knocking about somewhere too as I believe they are slightly better and within regs to change??.
Old 02-02-07, 10:35 AM   #4
SV650Racer

Quote:

*SV650Racer, do you have a later model Detent star knocking about somewhere too as I believe they are slightly better and within regs to change??.
Hi yes can get you one in. Sold the cams am afraid although its worth getting it running and setup properly first as you may be one of the lucky ones with a quick bike from the start and then go from there. I have seen to many people do everything and then find they have too much especially with regards to minitwins.
Old 02-02-07, 11:23 AM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer
Hi yes can get you one in. Sold the cams am afraid although its worth getting it running and setup properly first as you may be one of the lucky ones with a quick bike from the start and then go from there. I have seen to many people do everything and then find they have too much especially with regards to minitwins.
Doh!! I need to get myself a blown pointy motor (I have been keeping an eye out), rob the cams , tensioners and detent then ... know anyone with a blown pointy motor going?

How much is a boggo curvy likely to produce then?? I am presuming if a top sepc one (cams, filter, full system) produces 72, then a boggo curvy can't be good for much more than 60-63? If even the best standard ones produce say 63hp, then it is not even worth getting my bikes dynoed to see if it is a good one ... I might aswell jsut get the work done ...

How much just to run my two bikes up on the dyno?
Old 02-02-07, 12:23 PM   #6
Davies

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer
Doh!! I need to get myself a blown pointy motor (I have been keeping an eye out), rob the cams , tensioners and detent then ... know anyone with a blown pointy motor going?

How much is a boggo curvy likely to produce then?? I am presuming if a top sepc one (cams, filter, full system) produces 72, then a boggo curvy can't be good for much more than 60-63? If even the best standard ones produce say 63hp, then it is not even worth getting my bikes dynoed to see if it is a good one ... I might aswell jsut get the work done ...

How much just to run my two bikes up on the dyno?
My boggo curvy, with the only modification being a Blueflame exhaust (unbaffled), produced 69.something bhp on the last dyno run. Don't know how much more you'd get from a race filter and playing with the jets.
Old 02-02-07, 02:58 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstreetfighter
My boggo curvy, with the only modification being a Blueflame exhaust (unbaffled), produced 69.something bhp on the last dyno run. Don't know how much more you'd get from a race filter and playing with the jets.
Is that at the wheel? Also there is a lot of variance in dyno readouts .. we need to compare like for like ... i.e. the dynapro dyno they use trackside ... that sounds to be a bit pessimistic over some other dynos ... SV650Racer has stated Dynopro-v-Dynojet hp figures before and there has been at least 10% difference in the readings on the same bike ..

If that is 69 on a dynapro then indeed it isn't really worth the investment if I have a 'strong' one But I already know that my #1 bike is underpowered compared to even standard Pointys ... as I have had straighline head-2-head with some ...
Old 02-02-07, 05:33 PM   #8
chunkytfg

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by svstreetfighter
Is that at the wheel? Also there is a lot of variance in dyno readouts .. we need to compare like for like ... i.e. the dynapro dyno they use trackside ... that sounds to be a bit pessimistic over some other dynos ... SV650Racer has stated Dynopro-v-Dynojet hp figures before and there has been at least 10% difference in the readings on the same bike ..

If that is 69 on a dynapro then indeed it isn't really worth the investment if I have a 'strong' one But I already know that my #1 bike is underpowered compared to even standard Pointys ... as I have had straighline head-2-head with some ...
you're looking at around 6hp more out of a dynojet dyno compared to dynapro.

As for the blown motor. If you do find one can i bagsy the generator and flywheel for my thunderbike as total loss is a PITA when bunp starting isnt possible due to the slipper clutch
Old 02-02-07, 06:08 PM   #9
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg
you're looking at around 6hp more out of a dynojet dyno compared to dynapro.

As for the blown motor. If you do find one can i bagsy the generator and flywheel for my thunderbike as total loss is a PITA when bunp starting isnt possible due to the slipper clutch
Sure, so what is the expected Dynapro hp of a particularly healthy STANDARD curvy?

Likewise if you find one with the bits I need
Old 02-02-07, 06:22 PM   #10
mattSV
Mega Poster

My stock old curvy made 68.4 at the wheel when tested at Renegade (fuchs dyno):-

Fitting a pair of twin hi-level renegade cans bought it up to 71.1, however there was a 6-7bhp jump in the mid range, which was nice

2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote