SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-06-08, 10:59 AM   #1
krhall

Default River Thames

It's one of those things I never really take much notice of despite working less than 100 metres from and having always lived with 2 or 3 miles of, but yesterday I cycled home from Greenwich to Dartford following the Thames the whole way 18.5 miles.

It was absolutely superb......it was a spring high-tide and the river was at it's busiest with massive boats travelling both ways. It is easy to forget just how industrial this river still is.

I had to share just how good it was with someone, I loved the journey it was superb, I can't believe how lucky I was to be able to do that on my way home.

The only downside was that as I cycled home and left the SV at work, I had to cycle in this morning and my seat was a little "delicate" shall we say.........
Old 06-06-08, 11:05 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: River Thames

I love rivers I do......

No really, until you spend time on them you dont appreciate them........you just consider where the next bridge is to get from one side to the other.
Old 06-06-08, 11:09 AM   #3
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I love rivers I do......

No really, until you spend time on them you dont appreciate them........you just consider where the next bridge is to get from one side to the other.
+1
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 11:18 AM   #4
Warthog

I was considering cycling the Thames form Oxford to London, with camping on the way. But then I remembered I don't have a bicycle .

Rivers are awesome though, especially Welsh ones
Old 06-06-08, 11:51 AM   #5
flibble

There's great cycle route following the river paths and around Richmond and Kew area with lots of pubs. Managed about 8 pubs along the cycle route, marvellous
Old 06-06-08, 12:02 PM   #6
Caddy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
It's one of those things I never really take much notice of despite working less than 100 metres from and having always lived with 2 or 3 miles of, but yesterday I cycled home from Greenwich to Dartford following the Thames the whole way 18.5 miles.

It was absolutely superb......it was a spring high-tide and the river was at it's busiest with massive boats travelling both ways. It is easy to forget just how industrial this river still is.

I had to share just how good it was with someone, I loved the journey it was superb, I can't believe how lucky I was to be able to do that on my way home.

The only downside was that as I cycled home and left the SV at work, I had to cycle in this morning and my seat was a little "delicate" shall we say.........
You should have waved, I work right beside the Thames Barrier on the North Bank just upstream.
The Thames is a fantastic river and there's always something of interest going through the Barrier. HMS Ark Royal has been my highlight, but Thames Barges are always a wonderful sight.
Old 06-06-08, 12:24 PM   #7
krhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy2000 View Post
You should have waved.
I did and waited 10 mins for a wave back but nothing!!!

The river was extra busy yesterday with it being high spring tide and there were some huge boats unloading etc. SUPERB.