SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-10-04, 07:58 PM   #1
H-Gerickemark

Default advanced courses

hello

been thinking about doing an advanced course but heard from local people and friends that a advanced rider gets more points and a bigger fine if caught riding a bit spirited or just making good progress as I like to call it

an that line doesnt work with the police when your my age an riding a big bike.

is this true????

thanks

mark
Old 11-10-04, 08:17 PM   #2
fraser01

They only know if you tell them....so do the course and don't tell the fuzz.
Old 11-10-04, 10:02 PM   #3
ArtyLady

you could join your local motorcycle group of the Institute of Advanced Motorists. They have observers who ride out with you and guide through training for the advanced test, for a donation to their petrol. The club costs about £30 per year to join as an associate. (its less when you pass and become a full member). My local one also does monthly group training sessions which are free.

Id not heard that about getting worse fines and points

go for it anyway though - I am (trying!)
Old 11-10-04, 10:19 PM   #4
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumstoy
you could join your local motorcycle group of the Institute of Advanced Motorists. They have observers who ride out with you and guide through training for the advanced test, for a donation to their petrol. The club costs about £30 per year to join as an associate. (its less when you pass and become a full member). My local one also does monthly group training sessions which are free.

Id not heard that about getting worse fines and points

go for it anyway though - I am (trying!)
youl have to let me know about these ones . wouldnt mind a piece of that
Old 12-10-04, 06:31 AM   #5
Tris

Up here in Darkest Lincolnshire you can also join ROSPA for £15 per year (I think).

The good bit though is that you can do your advanced training for virtually nowt! You just pay something towards the instructors fuel. Test cost £50

I'm going to do it next year once I have a few more miles under my belt.

Tris
Old 12-10-04, 08:27 PM   #6
ArtyLady

bikeageboy - the one I go to is in chelmsford - they meet once a month at Channels golf club. you may find one in dirty romford if you check the Institute of Advanced Motorists website.
Old 12-10-04, 10:05 PM   #7
Tigerrrr.......

I passed the IAM test last May.

Thoroughly recommend it.

There are a couple of ways to get training for the test. You can join the local IAM group and go out on assessment rides with a volunteer (usually about 12 2 hour rides prior to the test) or you can do what I did and get a day's 1:1 tuition from the chief instructor at your local bike school at similar cost.

I had a day's instruction on the Monday, practised on the Tues/Wed/Thurs on my own in the test area, cleaned my bike on the Friday morning then sat the test on the Friday afternoon.

The test lasted about an hour and a half and I was given verbal feedback at the end.

It's really all about observation and road positioning and is well within anyone's ability. It's just common sense.

A good tip is to give yourself a running commentary of what you're doing, ie what you're looking at, why, and how it affects your road position, speed, gear, etc.

Whether you pass or fail, your riding will improve, so go for it and good luck.

PM me if you want any further details.

Cheers.
Old 12-10-04, 10:09 PM   #8
Tigerrrr.......

Forgot to say......

Advanced riders get more points/bigger fines?

What a load of danglies.

I've never heard such nonsense in my life.

You're being wound up.
Old 13-10-04, 11:31 AM   #9

Yep, load of rubbish, i cant see how they could do it as that would be discrimination and we all know our police force doesnt dicriminate!!
Seriously though
A judge in court might say you should have known better being IAM or what ever, but i cant see it being justification for heavier points!

I am just going to do some advanced riding with my local trainers when the restrictors come out in jan, and i have sorted the handling off the bike as at the moment it is a load of crap!! really making me lack confidence!

Alex