SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-02-12, 09:06 AM   #1
grimey121uk

Default Free wood?

Me and the mrs purchased house 2 months ago and the renovation is almost complete, just decorating and a few small jobs to complete.
After a lot of preparation to the fireplace and chimney the wood burning stove is getting installed on Monday

I was prepared to buy wood for it as its a lot cheaper than gas, I can get over a tonne for around £100 delivered which would fit in my shed nicely and would probably last us more than 12 months.

Just wondering if anyone on here has a wood burner and if so do you manage to get any free wood?

I was thinking of going around and asking local building firms if I could take their scrap wood as I would assume it cost them to get rid of it. I suppose I could just walk around some woodland and pick up any fallen branches or even take an axe and chop up any fallen trees.

Last edited by grimey121uk; 05-02-12 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-02-12, 09:15 AM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Free wood?

'Green' wood will need to be dried or it will smoke and spit like a b@st@rd.

Ask at wood yards, joinery firms etc, they will tons a year of kiln dried offcuts they need to dispose of.
Old 05-02-12, 09:20 AM   #3
grimey121uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post

Ask at wood yards, joinery firms etc, they will tons a year of kiln dried offcuts they need to dispose of.
Yeah I know it has to be dried, I was planning on stocking 1 side of the shed up with fresh/green wood for the year after to give it plenty of time to dry and another side of the shed with timber etc which would be ready to use now.

I will ask around the timber yards but to be honest i didn't expect them to toss any wood away, I just assumed they would collect all the crap and make it into mdf or wood chips
Old 05-02-12, 09:22 AM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Don't be tempted to burn any wood that's been treated

My wifes German uncle has a giant wood burner that they use all year, but they've got a small area of wood that they harvest from time to time.

All the wood is cut up and dried before they burn it, her uncle built a proper wood store outside
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 09:32 AM   #5
Jdubya

You could also check with local tree surgeons. Sometimes they don't just chip it all.
Old 05-02-12, 09:59 AM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yeah find the pikeyest of pikey tree surgeons, it only all gets fly tipped anyway so you might as well make use of it!

Buy a chainsaw and build some sawhorses.
Find a decent sized tree and chop a good slice of it to use as the anvil for splitting logs.

I find that now people know we have a stove and a saw, relatives and friends generally supply enough wood.
Old 05-02-12, 10:08 AM   #7
grimey121uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Yeah find the pikeyest of pikey tree surgeons, it only all gets fly tipped anyway so you might as well make use of it!

Buy a chainsaw and build some sawhorses.
Find a decent sized tree and chop a good slice of it to use as the anvil for splitting logs.

I find that now people know we have a stove and a saw, relatives and friends generally supply enough wood.

I now have an excuse to go out and buy a chainsaw

Is it legal to chop up a fallen tree in a Forrest?
Old 05-02-12, 10:13 AM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Depends who's land you're on.

And don't get rose tinted about that, you going to yomp it all to your car? Or buy a land rover
Old 05-02-12, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post

yes but they get paid for it now. or they burn it to heat their workshops..

Best option is to buy unseasoned wood circa 70£ a tonne and season it over a year..

fire wood is expensive these days.. try mixing it with some coal as that burns longer
Old 05-02-12, 12:34 PM   #10
Ed

We burned our old roof timbers - scary how quick they went up. We have at last found a cheap local wood supplier near Shrewsbury, £10 to half fill the back of my Discovery. As for foraging - it's a PIA as fallen branches tend to be an awkward shape to carry, and as they're on the ground they're wet, so you have to keep them for ages until they dry out.