SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Good The Bad and The Ugly Pub and Cafe guide Know any good biking meeting places. List them here and give them a rating

Old 26-05-06, 03:24 PM   #1
MeridiaNx

Default Tan Hill Inn, Tan Hill, Richmond

Only been up there once, but claims to be the highest pub/inn above sea level in the country. Middle of absolutely bl**dy nowhere, great little find and nice views.

Ales: Theakston and Black Sheep casks.
Food: ?

Number of bikes when I turned up, on a random Sunday in the middle of the afternoon they had 3 young lads playing great rock and roll in a converted barn they use for band nights. Might be worth checking one out.

Directions: I get there via the A66 between Barnard Castle and Penrith. On the dual carriageway section between Barnard and Brough there's a small turn on the left, brown sign marking to the inn. It's about 4/5 miles from the carriageway on single track moorland roads. Only one or two junctions from what I remember, signposted all the way.

http://www.tanhillinn.com/

Website for the place, full directions on there. Sure you can get there from Richmond, ie from the SE. Hope people enjoy if they make it over there. Maybe check on the site for a specific event, they seem to have a lot on.
Old 09-09-06, 04:41 PM   #2
Heed

I'm heading to Darlington over the A66 next Friday so I might pop in for a pint and check the place out. Looking at the website it seems a top country pub with very long licencing hours. I could do with somewhere to camp there if I'm going there for a few.
Old 07-01-07, 06:52 PM   #3
Tim in Belgium

Took my cage up there for it's first shake down run and had a great yorkshire pudding. Some fun roads (even in a cage), but watch out for sheep and dozy dodderers who swerve out on you when you overtake.

Can be approached from Hawes over the buttertubs pass to make an uber trip!
Old 04-04-07, 07:30 PM   #4
pastysteve

Default Re: Tan Hill Inn, Tan Hill, Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridiaNx View Post
Only been up there once, but claims to be the highest pub/inn above sea level in the country. Middle of absolutely bl**dy nowhere, great little find and nice views.

Ales: Theakston and Black Sheep casks.
Food: ?

Number of bikes when I turned up, on a random Sunday in the middle of the afternoon they had 3 young lads playing great rock and roll in a converted barn they use for band nights. Might be worth checking one out.

Directions: I get there via the A66 between Barnard Castle and Penrith. On the dual carriageway section between Barnard and Brough there's a small turn on the left, brown sign marking to the inn. It's about 4/5 miles from the carriageway on single track moorland roads. Only one or two junctions from what I remember, signposted all the way.

http://www.tanhillinn.com/

Website for the place, full directions on there. Sure you can get there from Richmond, ie from the SE. Hope people enjoy if they make it over there. Maybe check on the site for a specific event, they seem to have a lot on.
Black sheep and theakstons you dont need any other casks!!! lol REET DOO