SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-09-19, 06:02 PM   #1
gadget

Default 99 curvy 650s with slight misfire at idle,

Hi all, just joined the forum and this is my first sv650s and so far ... loving the SV ownership. this is also my first post so .... As per title ... my sv650s curvy has developed a very slight misfire at idle, it also sounds like it's occasionally spitting back through the exhaust too! (just a very light / faint pop every now and then.)
It only has 11,000 on the clock with an excellent dealer history so has been very well looked after (prior to my ownership).
The previous owner said he had just had the carbs stripped 'n' cleaned and he had also just fitted an end can so ... could it be the carbs just need setting up / synchronising etc: and matching to the can?
When warm it runs spot-on with no hesitation through the gears at any revs or any speed and pulls really strong, so all seems well above idle.
Idle jets maybe??
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Cheers in advance for any info or suggestions.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-19, 06:28 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: 99 curvy 650s with slight misfire at idle,

Doing a quick search for 'misfire at idle' - 2 pages of results

http://forums.sv650.org/search.php?searchid=7183150

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-19, 07:00 PM   #3
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Doing a quick search for 'misfire at idle' - 2 pages of results

http://forums.sv650.org/search.php?searchid=7183150
Many thanks for the link, didn't think of that Doh!
Sounds like it could be one of a dozen things tbh, so i'll just have to sort it by process of elimination.
Thanks again for the link.
Old 17-09-19, 08:20 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Bang a bottle Redex (ASDA supermarkets do it cheap usually or similar fuel cleaner)in an at least half full tank and go for a Blast.Also check the Air-filter.They can be cleaned if the segments are ok using Carb/Brake cleaner and then blown out with a compressor or vacced free of dust using a domestic vacuum cleaner.

If suspect then replace.

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 17-09-19 at 08:21 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-19, 09:30 AM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Bang a bottle Redex (ASDA supermarkets do it cheap usually or similar fuel cleaner)in an at least half full tank and go for a Blast
Our mower been getting a lot harder to start and probably because I ran out of Redex a couple of months ago and stopped using it in mower. Anyway we were at 'The Range' yesterday and saw 500ml for about a fiver so decided to put some in mower, ran the mower yesterday to get it around the carb and tried starting it today - vroom, vroom - happy days, can work miracles on carbs and the cheapest form of maintenance you can get...

Always leave Redex in motorbike petrol over winter lay-up, works like a dream.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 17-09-19, 01:49 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Our mower been getting a lot harder to start and probably because I ran out of Redex a couple of months ago and stopped using it in mower. Anyway we were at 'The Range' yesterday and saw 500ml for about a fiver so decided to put some in mower, ran the mower yesterday to get it around the carb and tried starting it today - vroom, vroom - happy days, can work miracles on carbs and the cheapest form of maintenance you can get...

Always leave Redex in motorbike petrol over winter lay-up, works like a dream.
If you need some more ASDA were doing it on,"Roll-Back" @ £2.00 for 250ml
Old 17-09-19, 05:17 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Well now I really do believe in miracles, the mower went from at least 12 hard pulls ( sometimes many more, and that involved pushing the mower away from me as i pulled the start cord to try and get quicker turnover ) with loads of priming in between pre-redex to about 4 pulls and less priming but still 2 or so primings this morning after redex yesterday - just tried it again about half hour ago and 3 presses of fuel prime button and 1 pull it sprang into life and settled into a nice steady tickover... anyone who doubts the magical properties of redex take note, and all for about £0.50 worth of redex - i was so fed up with the palaver of starting that I ordered a new spark plug, getting delivered tomorrow - could have saved myself £5 if i had put redex in sooner

Old 24-09-19, 06:05 PM   #8
gadget

Thumbs up Re: 99 curvy 650s with slight misfire at idle,

All good suggestions peeps, already got a batch of the redex stuff a while back so I thought I'd drop some in the tank and take it for a blast.
Tbh ... it never misses a beat when on the move, just a little popping on tickover and a little on deceleration.
I also read somewhere that if the original end can is changed they can be a little sensitive on fueling!? the make of can I have says that NO adjustment to mixture or fueling is needed in any way, and that a little popping in the pipe is almost to be expected!
As said earlier ... it starts on the button, warms up quickly, pulls like a train, and doesn't do anything but perform really well, it's literally just at tickover it sounds almost like (two stroking) if you get what I mean.
I pulled the plugs out to have a look and to my amazement ... I could unscrew both plugs with my fingers !! the plugs hadn't even crushed the sealing ring, so can only assume whoever put them in forgot where he was on the service. However they were both showing pretty much perfect combustion being a light grey/tan colour so wasn't too concerned.
Anyway ... I put new plugs in and it performs really nice and crisp with no issues, I will pull the plugs after a few miles of real world biking and see what there condition is (now they're installed properly).
Also managed to remove and clean the rear choke valve (was pretty much spotless anyway), just need to pull the front one now to eliminate that possibility of cause.
Think I'm just going to have to sort it all by process of elimination.
Thanks for all the suggestions peeps, keep e'm coming as I could always use a little guidance.