SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-05-09, 05:18 PM   #1
otacon88

Default Clutch problems.

hey what's up everyone. fellow sv650s rider here. i've had my bike for 3 years, bought it new, my bike pretty much broke down last august. i must say that i have been riding my bike pretty hard - its my first bike and i've been trying to practice wheelies and whatnot on it.

anyways, this past august i was riding with a bunch of guys, and i noticed that my clutch was getting reallly lose - not the amount of pressure i have to pull in, but i had to let the clutch go almost completely before i could even throttle and go. it wasn't as responsive, and over the course of the next 15 min, my clutch completely gave way. i could sit in first gear, not move at all, and not hold my clutch in and the bike would not stall. it seemed as if the clutch was held in permanently, and releasing or pulling in the clutch had nothing to do with it. i've been busy with school since august, haven't had time to fix it, and i tried starting my bike up a couple days ago and it won't start - i'm assuming i just need to recharge the battery.

sorry if my technical/mechanical vocab is lacking. any advice/help? can i fix it myself or do i have to take it to the shop - and how much will it cost? thanks for the help guys!
Old 15-05-09, 05:29 PM   #2
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: what's wrong with my bike??

The clutch could just be totally burnt out. When you pull the lever does it feel weighty or does it feel like it's not connected?

FWIW the SV650 is a poor wheelie bike, it starves the front cylinder of oil.
Old 15-05-09, 05:31 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yup sounds like you've cooked the clutch.
Old 15-05-09, 05:36 PM   #4
otacon88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
The clutch could just be totally burnt out. When you pull the lever does it feel weighty or does it feel like it's not connected?

FWIW the SV650 is a poor wheelie bike, it starves the front cylinder of oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Yup sounds like you've cooked the clutch.
from what i remember, if i pulled in the clutch it felt normal, just i didn't get a response or anything. and ya, the sv sucks at doing wheelies lol.

so what could be the cause of this? just me riding the bike too hard and trying wheelies?

and can i fix this myself. if not how much is it gonna cost?
Old 15-05-09, 05:37 PM   #5
Jamiebridges123

You burnt the clutch. You'll probably need a new one. Cha-ching. Or at least the friction plates? (waits to be corrected by YC)
Old 15-05-09, 05:54 PM   #6
ThEGr33k

Sounds like you been told about the clutch, Silly (boy?) ha ha

As to not starting, Do you have lights, what happens when you press the starter?

Battery recharge is more than likely true, after 7-8 months it will be a little done for.
Old 15-05-09, 08:23 PM   #7
otacon88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
You burnt the clutch. You'll probably need a new one. Cha-ching. Or at least the friction plates? (waits to be corrected by YC)
how much am i looking at to replace a clutch? tell me it's less than $200 please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Sounds like you been told about the clutch, Silly (boy?) ha ha

As to not starting, Do you have lights, what happens when you press the starter?

Battery recharge is more than likely true, after 7-8 months it will be a little done for.
when i put the keys in and turn it on and push the starter nothing happens. i put it to the parking lights and they don't turn on either. that's the battery for sure...right? lol
Old 15-05-09, 08:25 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Depends what's gone. Chances are the friction plates are just mullered. Get a haynes manual and pull the clutch. You will need 8mm socket. 10mm socket. Micrometer or vernier.
Old 15-05-09, 08:31 PM   #9
Jamiebridges123

I believe if you did it yourself you could get the plates for under $200
Old 15-05-09, 08:32 PM   #10
xXBADGERXx

Try and charge the battery , in all likelyhood , that has been done in as well as it has been left a long time . Do you have access to an optimate or any other battery conditioner , some of your biking friends may have one ..... give the battery a go on that .