SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-08-16, 06:33 PM   #1
EdMayle

Thumbs up Weird intermittent starting issue

Hi.
I have a curvy sv650s, which until recently would start first time at the first touch of the button.
On sunday i went to start it after a short ride and it would turn over but wouldn't start on the first try. I turned it off and back on again and it started fine. I then rode 10 miles and it ran absolutely fine.
Stopped for fuel and after this it wouldn't start, same deal, turning over but not starting. It eventually went after about 15 minutes of trying.
Since then it has been starting only after trying a few times, and doesn't seem affected by being hot or cold, but does SEEM to only start when the bike is upright although this might be a coincidence.
When it does start, it idles and runs like normal.
Thanks in advance.
Ed
Old 31-08-16, 07:13 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Weird intermittent starting issue

Hi and welcome. Is the starter motor turning the engine over as quickly as it always does? I'd check the vacuum line to the fuel tap is properly connected, too.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-16, 07:19 PM   #3
EdMayle

Hi, thanks.
Yeh, starter motor seems to sound normal and on the times it does start, it starts exactlt like normal. would the vacuum line cause a problem when it is running too?
Old 31-08-16, 11:06 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

check continuity of the sidestand switch and the clutch switch.

check the run/stop switch.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 07:03 AM   #5
EdMayle

Hi mate, thanks for the advice. By the run stop switch do you mean the key or the killswitch on

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-16, 07:05 AM   #6
EdMayle

..on the right switch gear? Forgive my ignorance, I know very little about electrics, but if the side stand or clutch switch was at fault, would it turn over?

Old 01-09-16, 07:12 AM   #7
Craig380
Mega Poster

I think Bibio means that if the contacts of those switches are dirty or furred up, it can cause weird and unpredictable gremlins.

Try pulling the clutch switch connector off the switch, check the connectors are clean, and push it back together firmly. If you have some residue-free electrical contact cleaner, you could give the killswitch a blast and work the switch a few times to 'wipe' it clean, same with the sidestand switch plunger.
Old 01-09-16, 07:16 AM   #8
EdMayle

I see, thanks. I'll get some contact cleaner today and see if I can work out where I need to be looking for those two switches. Any particular type of cleaner I need?

Old 01-09-16, 12:15 PM   #9
Craig380
Mega Poster

Any spray electric / switch cleaner will do, you can get it from Maplins and places like that.

NOT WD40, brake cleaner or carb cleaner, basically - those are all either too aggressive on plastics, or leave an oily residue.

Clutch switch is underneath the clutch lever pivot - just pull the connector off. Sidestand switch is easy to see when the bike is on the side stand - it's a little plunger that pokes down. The stand holds it up when you're riding.

Last edited by Craig380; 01-09-16 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-09-16, 12:27 PM   #10
EdMayle

Thanks Craig that's really helpful. I'll look at both of those tonight. Getting cleaner into the killswitch, just try and get it from the top?