SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 14-12-07, 04:58 AM   #21
ThEGr33k

Default Re: never been to a track day, what you like to have known before your first track experience?

Just wondering about insurance.

Im wanting to do one next year and i dont want to have an accident and write the bike off without insurance .

So where can you get track insurance etc?
Old 14-12-07, 07:00 AM   #22
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: never been to a track day, what you like to have known before your first track experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Just wondering about insurance.

Im wanting to do one next year and i dont want to have an accident and write the bike off without insurance .

So where can you get track insurance etc?
ebike do trackday insurance, but it usually isn't worth it. The excess is huge ~500 pounds and they don't cover things like plastics! Only really worthwhile if you have a big one and write off the bike. Plus it's an extra ~60 pounds on top of the cost of the day.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-07, 10:51 AM   #23
Kinvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
ebike do trackday insurance, but it usually isn't worth it. The excess is huge ~500 pounds and they don't cover things like plastics! Only really worthwhile if you have a big one and write off the bike. Plus it's an extra ~60 pounds on top of the cost of the day.
in the immortal words of Mr Squid, "Don't crash".

If it's your first track day you probably won't be pushing the bike as much as it can go to worry about writing it off.

My only piece of advice, Don't get pi$$ed off if everyone else, including a restricted curvy, overtakes you! Easier said than done!
Old 14-12-07, 02:33 PM   #24
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvig View Post
in the immortal words of Mr Squid, "Don't crash".

If it's your first track day you probably won't be pushing the bike as much as it can go to worry about writing it off.

My only piece of advice, Don't get pi$$ed off if everyone else, including a restricted curvy, overtakes you! Easier said than done!
What if a restricted curvy came past, with a topbox and muffs attached and the rider was a fan of alpinestars?

Matt
Old 14-12-07, 03:53 PM   #25
Kinvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
What if a restricted curvy came past, with a topbox and muffs attached and the rider was a fan of alpinestars?

Matt
that would only happen if I'd crashed the bike and was stationary!!!

;o)
Old 14-12-07, 04:28 PM   #26
Jester666

I feel a challenge brewing.

Except.....

Kinvig has no SV!!
Old 14-12-07, 04:37 PM   #27
Kinvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
I feel a challenge brewing.

Except.....

Kinvig has no SV!!

I have a skateboard & one cat......I must be able to cobble something together MacGyver-style with that......
Old 14-12-07, 04:41 PM   #28
mister c
Mega Poster

Did my first last Saturday. I would say ride at your pace, don't try to race anyone (until you get more confident ). The guys that run the days are exceptionally good (well Hottrax & No limits seem to be) and they will offer you lots of feedback if you ask them any questions. Because the weather was so bad we ended up with 2 groups instead of 3, but I felt quite safe. They give you 2 or 3 sighting laps behind an instructor & then let you loose on your own. Nolimits also said if you wanted any 1 to 1 tuition they would do that for you as well.
I loved it & cant wait for the next one, so get out there & have fun
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-07, 05:09 PM   #29
Bear

For your first one I'd suggest going on your own, not with mates. That way it's a lot easier to ride at your own pace. The bloke getting held up behind you? you don't know him and he won't be taking the **** out of you for months in the pub.

You won't stalk a mate for three laps then bin it trying to get round him somewhere you shouldn't...

Not that I know anything about that of course...
Old 15-12-07, 10:41 AM   #30
wheelnut

Ive done a few, with living so close to Donington, I sometimes just ride up and join in. I have never been brave enough or confident enough to go in any other group than novice. Although I have done California levels 1 & 2 twice.

I doubt you will need a speedo, you wont have time to look at it anyway, some track day organisers tape them up as a matter of course as you do the briefing. You wont be looking at the bike but looking at the track layout unless you are just doing it so a mate can take a photo. avoid this too as you will be looking for him and make a mistake.

Ride for yourself, you will pass blokes on Ducatis and Gixxers, don't think you are the next Valentino Stoner. They are hanging back to give themselves room, to try something new, to even attack one corner or type of corner that is giving them a problem. This is good advice, if you feel crowded, ride through the pit lane and back out. Its not a race

Donington will scare the poo out of you as you drop down into Craner towards the bridge for the first time, it feels like you are falling off a cliff edge as you try to get round the corner. The loop is good fun too and will teach you a lot about the bike, approach, lines and getting back on the throttle.