SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-02-19, 02:15 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default car buying conundrum

at the moment i have a mobility car (skoda Yeti 1.6d greenline) with extended lease (5 years) which is due to end 7th May. the mileage is 17,600 miles so i do around 4,000 miles a year. i have phoned motability to get a price to buy the car which they say is £8750.00 which is about £2k more than i wanted to pay.

my problem.. even though my wife is now in full time care i will still be taking her out for days etc.etc so i will need a car suitable for her and the Yeti is perfect.

i dont want to have to go out and buy another car that could be a potential dog for around the £5-6k mark.

my thinking is that now i have more free time the mileage will increase so buying the car at such low mileage is a good idea. if everything goes tittsup i could still sell the car.

what to do, i'm confused...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-19, 02:32 PM   #2
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: car buying conundrum

We got our Passatt a few years ago at around the budget you're looking at. We could have been lucky and had nothing wrong with it for years, but actually at the age it was it's likely that things start to go wrong... and they did.
Every year something cost us at least £1000 in repairs. Rear electronic brakes ripping themselves apart, locking on and needing towing and calipers cutting off and replacing, various gaskets blowing and oil getting in the wrong places including coolant system, air con pump seizing just after we'd done the cam belt, so ripping out a belt at speed causing complete power loss on a busy 3 lane road at 70mph, some part of the turbo blew leading to a very slow journey back from Cornwall fully loaded with all family onboard with the car in "limp mode"... the list goes on and on for the last 4 years. Would I have paid a couple of grand more to avoid over £4,000 of repairs, scary epsiodes and inconvenience? Yes, if I had it I think I would.

Essentially we paid £6,000 upftont and paid at least £1000 in installments for the years after, along with the inconvenience and uncertainty that brought with each failure and repair. The more we repaired it the more we had invested in it and the more we needed to keep it running and repaired with each consequent problem.

I guess it depends what is around at your budget price, but if it was me I'd want somehting very reliable. My parents have a Yeti and are very pleased with it. Upright, comfortable and surprisingly spritely for a 1.3 petrol engine!
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-19, 02:35 PM   #3
keith_d
Mega Poster

Hi Bibio,

I don't know your situation, so feel free to ignore me.

The first question I would ask is whether you need wheelchair accessibility, or expect to need it in the near future? If you do, try looking at

https://homecountiesaccessiblevehicles.co.uk/

The website might give you some idea of what's available secondhand or for hire. Though I would expect prices north of the border to be a mite bit more competitive.

Just my thoughts,

Keith
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-19, 02:42 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

my grip is that i have the original purchase order saying £14k odd when it was new and i have paid in around £12k and had it serviced once. so lets say take away insurance which is peanuts for me and make it £10k i have paid in i would have expected to pay £5-6k but they want market value for the car and not dealer trade price... and i thought that motabiity were a charity... lol

i could go out and buy one from a forecourt for less with 50k miles and higher spec but what might be lurking under the bonnet.

at 17k miles its hardly run in is my view and i know the car and its been well looked after.
Old 13-02-19, 02:51 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

thats a cool site Keith.. ta. i dont need a wheelchair ramp but it has me thinking that i could get a bike in there if i did have one... lol

when we searched for a new car we went to every single dealer around so looked at and tried lots and lots of different cars to discover that the yeti was the only one suitable to our needs due to all the rest of the cars having either narrow door entrance or wrong sporty seats or the more common was the door card fell too far into the foot well and banged against Mrs B's leg which would have been agony for her.

i wanted a Seat Ibiza but the door cards were huge.

so i know that the Yeti is the only car that is perfect well that and the ford c-max but i'm not going back to 25-30mpg.

buying the car was always our goal at the end of the lease but i never expected it to be so expensive.
Old 13-02-19, 03:09 PM   #6
shiftin_gear98

Two cents worth - keep the car you know.
Looking at Keith's website you will end up paying more or the same to take a gamble.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-19, 03:45 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

What happens to the car if it goes back to Motability? Do they auction them off and if so how much do they get for them? If you do your homework you might find that they would consider an offer for the car nearer to your valuation. Do it properly though,in writing rather than by phone to the office girl.
Old 13-02-19, 03:55 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

At least you know the cars history and how it has been driven, which is worth a lot, you could maybe get something cheaper that will not be reliable and could easily cost you more than the price difference in repairs.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-19, 05:13 PM   #9
Talking Heads

You need to try and forget the money you've put in so far and look at it from today forward.

A new one would cost double what you're looking to pay for the barely used one you have.

You have the option to buy a car you know is perfect and you know its full history.
In terms of buying a used car this is pretty much the jackpot, any risk is minimised.

IMO the only thing to do is try a haggle over the price.
It would appear you might have some scope to get a wee bit of money off.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/used-pr...1.6d+greenline
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-19, 09:03 PM   #10
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
thats a cool site Keith.. ta. i dont need a wheelchair ramp but it has me thinking that i could get a bike in there if i did have one... lol

when we searched for a new car we went to every single dealer around so looked at and tried lots and lots of different cars to discover that the yeti was the only one suitable to our needs due to all the rest of the cars having either narrow door entrance or wrong sporty seats or the more common was the door card fell too far into the foot well and banged against Mrs B's leg which would have been agony for her.

i wanted a Seat Ibiza but the door cards were huge.

so i know that the Yeti is the only car that is perfect well that and the ford c-max but i'm not going back to 25-30mpg.

buying the car was always our goal at the end of the lease but i never expected it to be so expensive.
I was about to suggest the same as Kieth

A lwb caddy or tourneo connect would fit one in. (I've got a swb one and it would)

If your needing something similar to the yeti I would suggest a tourneo connect but not the petrol ones. Same motor as the cmax and have a habit of exploding into flames

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote