SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 11-04-07, 12:21 PM   #1
weazelz

Default Lap Timers

anyone got any suggestions for a lap timer with a remote timing switch that I can mount on the handlebars or wire into the horn button?

I had been looking at this, which does exactly what I want, but I really don't want to spend £80 on a stopwatch it's a bit huge as well (100mm x 65mm x 23mm)
Old 09-05-07, 12:56 AM   #2
monkey

Default Re: Lap Timers

How about getting a mate to stand and time you? He he he, or set a video camera up?

I'm gonna try and get my brick of a phone onto the bike for trackdays as it has a very good camera and I can film all my mates going past me!

What about a mobile phone or dictaphone with wired handsfree or microphone that you can simply shout at when you cross the start line? Just like the camera though you'd have to be quick to review it between sessions to get the times.

What about a stopwatch taped discretely under your leathers so you can get to it and using a slow part of the track to do the start/finish times from? You could get one of them for about a fiver and remove any buttons you wouldn't need on track so they don't get pushed accidently or you could even butcher one and fit your own wire and switch runninng down your arm inside your leathers. Reckon that'd be the best solution. All in it should cost less than a tenner. Might even try and do one of those myself.

Old 09-05-07, 07:52 AM   #3
weazelz

what I did in the end was the same as what Blue has. I got a cheapo stopwatch from maplin, soldered a wire into the 'Lap' button & wired that into the horn switch on the handlebars. I have the stopwatch taped over the speedo so I can have a quick glance each lap
Old 09-05-07, 09:48 AM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz View Post
what I did in the end was the same as what Blue has. I got a cheapo stopwatch from maplin, soldered a wire into the 'Lap' button & wired that into the horn switch on the handlebars. I have the stopwatch taped over the speedo so I can have a quick glance each lap
Indeed, just the ticket, minimal cost and works really well - with the horn switch being in easy thumbs reach to triger it ... teriyakimonkey, take a gander at this thread (about 1/2 way down the page).

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...light=laptimer