SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-07-07, 03:18 PM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Vegetarians .. Vegans and the like …

Ok so where do you draw the line??

Presuming you are a veggie/vegan due to ethics not allergies, where do you draw the line?

Ok, so a nice juicy steak or a bacon butty is off the menu, fair enough, I can see that. But do you eat yoghurts (bacteria), marmite, bread, beer (yeast) etc etc???

Also do you use ant powder and slug pellets in your garden? Do you use detol (anti-bacterial products) in the house???

Seems a bit double standard if you are into bread yogurts etc and use detol … it is just picking on the little guys!!

Discuss

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 31-07-07 at 03:57 PM.
Old 31-07-07, 03:23 PM   #2
skidmarx

Default Re: Vegetarians .. Vegans and the like …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post

Presuming you are a veggie/vegan due to ethics not allergies, where do you draw the line?

Ok, so a nice juicy steak or a bacon butty is off the menu, fair enough, I can see that. But do you eat yoghurts (bacteria), marmite, bread, beer (yeast) etc etc???

Also do you use ant powder and slug pellet in your garden? Do you use detol (anti-bacterial products) in the house???

Seems a bit double standard if you are into bread yogurts etc and use detol … it is just be picking on the little guys!!

Discuss
Has it got a pulse?
Old 31-07-07, 03:25 PM   #3
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post

Also do you use ant powder and slug pellet in your garden? Do you use detol (anti-bacterial products) in the house???

Seems a bit double standard if you are into bread yogurts etc and use detol … it is just be picking on the little guys!!

Discuss
I'm an (ethical) veggie.

I don't eat meat or fish.

I do wear leather and I do kill slugs and ants.

I am well aware that this could seem totally hypocritcal etc etc and I would totally agree.
Old 31-07-07, 03:40 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Veggies?, Vegans? Who gives a flying f***. God made animals to give us meat.

Once you are dead you will be feeding the worms anyway. It is natures way. We eat animals and in their own way they eventually get eat us.
Old 31-07-07, 03:42 PM   #5
Razor

In New Zealand they won't jump your bones if you're a carnivore...
Old 31-07-07, 03:45 PM   #6
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Veggies?, Vegans? Who gives a flying f***. God made animals to give us meat.

Once you are dead you will be feeding the worms anyway. It is natures way. We eat animals and in their own way they eventually get eat us.
I don't totally disagree with you. I don't believe in a god so I think that's nonsense but the bit about animals existing to be eaten I agree with to a certain extent.

I have more of an issue with the ethics of farming/slaughtering methods than the killing of animals per se.
Old 31-07-07, 03:59 PM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
She asked 157 folks from a population of 4,115,771? Probably all her veggie mates.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-07, 04:09 PM   #8
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
I don't totally disagree with you. I don't believe in a god so I think that's nonsense but the bit about animals existing to be eaten I agree with to a certain extent.

I have more of an issue with the ethics of farming/slaughtering methods than the killing of animals per se.
But surely then you can still buy and eat some of those ethically farmed, overpriced meat/dairy products?

What about if you get some chickens(as discussed in another thread)....would you eat them or their eggs?

Personally i have gone off beef/pork/lamb/chicken recently but i am loving turkey
Old 31-07-07, 04:10 PM   #9
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
If the vegan women look anything like that horror show....then what greater incentive to eat meat do we need?
Old 31-07-07, 04:17 PM   #10
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
But surely then you can still buy and eat some of those ethically farmed, overpriced meat/dairy products?

What about if you get some chickens(as discussed in another thread)....would you eat them or their eggs?

Personally i have gone off beef/pork/lamb/chicken recently but i am loving turkey
The idea of breeding animals to kill them for food just doesn't do it for me. Though I have less of an issue with ethically raised meat etc and killing and eating wild animals is a different matter (maybe).

I have been veggie for a long time and I just feel that it is unecessary for me to eat meat so I don't.

If/when I get chickens they would be pets that handily also provide eggs.