SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-12-16, 03:19 PM   #1
ricksname

Default First SV fall - repair questions

Hi Guys,

Some considerate headphone-wearing chap walked out between some cars into the road on Friday, and I found myself having a lie down in the road for the first time in years.

Luckily, I've got a set of crush bungs on the bike, so the damage isn't too brutal. Brake peg gone, and a decent scrape along my lowers and exhaust. I guess there isn't much I can do for the exhaust, but I was planning to get the fairing sorted at least!

I'm totally new to these things, and was wondering if I could sort it with some touch up paint, but perhaps it needs to be a spray job as it's not exactly a tiny scratch. Any advice on this?

http://i.imgur.com/huiqVZE.jpg

Obviously the crash bung has taken a fair scrape too. Is this worth replacing with a new set? Might be a few months before I can get £100 together to sort them.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by ricksname; 11-12-16 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 03:33 PM   #2
moblies

Default Re: First SV fall - repair questions

sorry to hear that but don't look too bad, guess your options are a rattle can and a bit of filler, plenty of prep and take your time you could probably achieve a tidy result. failing that these smart repairers would probably be the next cheapest, I had a seat cowl plastic welded and resprayed for less than £100. if you can find a mobile guy he may take it away and do it at his leisure for a discounted rate.
Old 11-12-16, 05:38 PM   #3
Blapper

Argh! Sorry to read that. I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago but mine was black ice. My plastics were considerably more damaged than yours and are at this moment being repainted by a member of this forum - nathcarr. He is a professional painter at VW/Audi so will know what he is doing and is charging me a very fair price. Worth a PM.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 05:55 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Twice in the last couple of years I have had people walk out into path of my car while too engrossed in their phone, one was a teenage girl, just as I was exiting an island on a dual carriageway (wasn't even on a zebra crossing) screeched to a stop and tooted horn, got a raised middle finger for saving her from a trip to hospital or worse. Second one also on a main road, managed to stop car ok. Would not have been so easy to stop a bike, especially if road wet. Wearing earphones when jogging, riding a cycle or even walking is not a good idea as you effectively lose the use of one of your senses.

Don't know how you go about getting money back from these morons - did the perpetrator just walk away after causing this accident ?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 07:13 PM   #5
ricksname

Blapper - Thanks, I'll give him a go!

SV650rules - Yeah, I see it all the time! The guy who walked out was long gone. Luckily a few other passes by stopped to help, one of whom was a nurse who gave me a look over. I've just accepted that I'll have to fork out for this one, and hope some nasty karma is coming that guys way.
Old 22-12-16, 05:06 PM   #6
Mega Poster

Just out of interest, who was at fault with this? You know that a pedestrian is as liable for repair costs as another road user would be if they cause an accident. Personal liability insurance is included in most household insurance policies.
Old 22-12-16, 09:21 PM   #7
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Just out of interest, who was at fault with this? You know that a pedestrian is as liable for repair costs as another road user would be if they cause an accident. Personal liability insurance is included in most household insurance policies.

As a general rule of thumb the duty of care usually falls on the driver. In this instance it would be the riders "fault" so even if they stopped and had that cover in place it would most likely fall on the riders insurance.

I'm not saying it is his fault, as having an accident as the result of poor planning/observation/consideration of a pedestrian, he can't really be held accountable for that.

Hope the repairs aren't too costly and you can get it fixed up nice and quick, main thing is you're ok, a scuffed bit of fairing is annoying but broken bones are far worse than a bruised ego mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23-12-16, 08:55 AM   #8
Mega Poster

Well, without getting into one of those daft forum threads where everyone suddenly becomes a legal counsel...the blame is never, ever laid automatically at the driver/riders feet. There's way more to it than that.