SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 29-06-10, 10:01 PM   #1
cloudsurferuk

Default August 12th Ride to the Bore

Ok one of the best 4* Severn bore's of 2010 is in the evening of the 12th August and I feel like a ride out from Bristol ending up at a Pub with a beer garden giving excellent views of it at Epney.

The ride will be up from Bristol along the A38 then some twisties to Epney aiming to arrive at Epney around 9pm (bore due at 9:30pm)

If you dont know what the Severn Bore is then its basically a massive tide pushing the Severn back on its self with a 2 metre Wave (with plenty of nutters trying to surf it!) and the video should give an idea of the sight to look forward to (which is one of the natural wonders of the world.)

Approximate Departure time from Bristol would be around 7:45pm probably from Fowlers if people are coming from other areas.

Heres a Facetube Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKA39LQOIck

Last edited by cloudsurferuk; 30-06-10 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-07-10, 10:36 PM   #2
NadineDieBiene

Default Re: August 12th Ride to the Bore

Hiya,

I find it very interesting that it is possible to predict on 29th of June that there will be a 2 meter wave on 12th August at 9:30 pm - wow! How often does it happen? The video looks like fun. Good opportunity to get back on my bike and catch up with some people from the forum.
Old 13-07-10, 08:20 AM   #3
cloudsurferuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadineDieBiene View Post
Hiya,

I find it very interesting that it is possible to predict on 29th of June that there will be a 2 meter wave on 12th August at 9:30 pm - wow! How often does it happen? The video looks like fun. Good opportunity to get back on my bike and catch up with some people from the forum.
I could pretend to understand how they work it out but I would be lying needless to say there are around 30 or 40 a year but most are 1 or 2 star bores. 4/5 Star bores are rarer. It's all to do with the height of the tide mainly and moon phase. The predictions are usually accurate to within 20 mins.

One thing remains though is that it is a phenomenal sight and showing of the power of the sea, literally forcing the river severn back on itself.

More Info at http://www.severn-bore.co.uk/

Look forward to seeing you on the ride!
Old 14-07-10, 07:49 PM   #4
widepants

looks like I could be up for that one.
chat closer to the time
widepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-10, 04:23 PM   #5
cloudsurferuk

Cool, the more the merrier!
Old 15-07-10, 04:45 PM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Sounds interesting, put me down for it but remind me again nearer the time.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-10, 04:56 PM   #7
widepants

looks like Im going to have to pull out.
I shall be off around northwales that week for a biking wander
widepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-10, 10:17 PM   #8
NadineDieBiene

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudsurferuk View Post
I could pretend to understand how they work it out but I would be lying needless to say there are around 30 or 40 a year but most are 1 or 2 star bores. 4/5 Star bores are rarer. It's all to do with the height of the tide mainly and moon phase. The predictions are usually accurate to within 20 mins.

One thing remains though is that it is a phenomenal sight and showing of the power of the sea, literally forcing the river severn back on itself.

More Info at http://www.severn-bore.co.uk/

Look forward to seeing you on the ride!
Yes, looking forward - the only thing that is going to stop me is rain
Old 20-07-10, 08:26 PM   #9
cloudsurferuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadineDieBiene View Post
Yes, looking forward - the only thing that is going to stop me is rain
It's ok, I have booked the sunshine! as it never rains on my birthday!
Old 22-07-10, 06:49 PM   #10
cloudsurferuk

Ok, quick update as its decision time. The best two options for seeing the bore (and decent riding time) are at Epney on the east bank. Open pub with lively beer garden and stunning views across the severn. Route involves A38 and then lanes to Epney. Or option 2 is across the old bridge and up the west bank to Minsterworth and the Severn Bore Inn (which as far as I know is still closed) so no chance of drinkies etc.

I think epney is better option but this democracy thing sounds like a crack.