SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 06-01-08, 10:20 PM   #1021
ASM-Forever

Default Re: <tumbleweed>

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
It's not as easy and you can't go as quick but it's even more of a challange, so it's kind cool if you don't mind getin cold fingers! I've been readin "a twist of the wrist" and this damp weather is perfect for practicing suppressing your "survival reactions" (which are a bad thing aparently). I did 300 miles in the wet this weekend and tried to get the back end to spin on every roundabout - i'd need new tyres very quickly if I tried that in the summer! don't get me wrong, I much prefer a sunny day and dry road, but winter riding can be good too.
I get what you're saying, i too like riding in the rain.

But ice? Thats just ****! At this point i should point out i mean when the temperature is actually below freezing and there is a lot of ice about. Not when its 3C and there are small patches.
Old 06-01-08, 10:49 PM   #1022
philbut

Default Re: The TV Mini Mega thread.

True. Sheet ice is not cool. I do remember commmuting in ice last year and really not enjoying it at all. Plus, the bike I use in winter is worth a grand, so I'm not quite as worried about sending it down the road as your R6 mate - I would be a bit more careful if I had a new bike!
Old 06-01-08, 10:57 PM   #1023
Stig

Yeah that's a good point I guess. But then I've never really thought about not riding in case I have a spill. I'll ride regardless of the weather. Most roads are gritted anyway. The only time I haven't ridden because of the weather was when I got snowed in last year.

I knew damn well that as soon as I got on the main roads I would be fine, but I live at the bottom of a hill and the only way out is up it. No gritters come down that road. Was funny to see how many other vehicles slid down it and couldn't get back up again. There was a queue of traffic all the way round the estate for over a day. And that included a PSV too.
Old 08-01-08, 01:09 PM   #1024
Warthog

I am back! I got a cold from the damn flight, had 2 hours sleep in 2 days, need to unpack and go shopping, so I can't make it tonight I'm afraid. I did a trip to Bristol and back an hour before I left to New York and now ten days later I come back to find my bike converted into a pile of rust with tyres! Just squirted a load of lube on the chain and rode to work. Engine still sweet but it needs a kwak_zzr clean! Anyway, I will try to have a rideout with you guys soon, its not too cold now, was -11 in the states so it all feels fine here! Glad everyone is still alive and in high spirits, merry late christmas and new year!
Old 08-01-08, 01:27 PM   #1025
Smudge

i just put my roller boots on when its icy can do some nice doughnuts
Old 14-01-08, 03:32 PM   #1026
Sosha

Back..... and to prove it here I am. Missing the sun already but will never complain about the SV seat again having now experienced the true plank-like qualities of a DT125. Wish I'd got a shot of the chap I rented it from - apprehensive doesn't cover it.
Old 14-01-08, 04:20 PM   #1027
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Wish I'd got a shot of the chap I rented it from - apprehensive doesn't cover it.
Can you blame him? A woman on a motorbike....whatever next.
Old 14-01-08, 04:49 PM   #1028
stevehaskew

I'm back as well! First time on the bike for two weeks this morning and although the bike wasn't rusty, I felt quite rusty. Lovely weather I've come back to...
Old 14-01-08, 05:16 PM   #1029
StreetHawk

Welcome back all...

I haven't been anywhere to come back from
Old 14-01-08, 05:16 PM   #1030
Stig

Ah so the nomadic personnel of the TV group come back to roost. Welcome back Sosha & Steve.

We look forward to hearing all about the great big world outside of the Thames Valley at the next meet. I hear it's full of mysterious and wonderful things. Things like sunshine and dry weather. Can there be such a thing